Why become a member? ×

Tascam MP-BT1 robustness and reliability

sjc

If you look at the Harmony Central reviews for the Tascam MP-BT1 (or more precisely its close cousins and the previous CD based variant), there seems to be some question as to the robustness and reliability of this device.

Does anybody here have any views on this?

Is the general opinion that they are fine as long as they are treated with a reasonably amount of respect?

Cheers

Stuart

I had the geetar version of the MP3 player, but sold it on as it wasn't getting much use as I tend to use my MacBook with guitar rig session I/O.

I kept it in a camera case so it easy to keep in pristine condition and I never had any problems with it apart from a couple of times it crashed & froze and needed a paperclip stuck into the reset hole.

I wasn't very keen on the clunky user interface - seems a bit prehistoric compared to an iPod, it was fussy about the MP3 format and being limited to 1GB was a pain, but it was a useful thing to have.

[quote name='sjc' post='758728' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:28 PM']Is the general opinion that they are fine as long as they are treated with a reasonably amount of respect?[/quote]

YES....

I have both a MP-BT1 and a Boss micro Br. Both are very good if you treat them like a delicate electrical instrument which they are.

They are not designed to take runnig or swiming so dont expect it to work if you do.....

The CD-BT1 however I found hard work and an absolute battery muncher, you HAD to have the power supply.

[quote name='sjc' post='758728' date='Feb 26 2010, 11:28 PM']If you look at the Harmony Central reviews for the Tascam MP-BT1 (or more precisely its close cousins and the previous CD based variant), there seems to be some question as to the robustness and reliability of this device.

Does anybody here have any views on this?

Is the general opinion that they are fine as long as they are treated with a reasonably amount of respect?

Cheers

Stuart[/quote]
I've had no problems with my MP-BT - although only had it two months and it gets no rough use but just sits next to my laptop and practice amp. It is slightly annoying that it only likes certain file formats and so I have to keep doing conversions before dragging and dropping though.

In general I'm very pleased with mine.

As stated above, cons are the on/off switch can sometimes stick, it looks/feels pretty clunky and is fussy about formats. 1GB capacity is pretty measly these days, but if you're using it as a training tool and not an mp3 player, then you'd struggle to fill it in all honesty. If you're using headphones with it, then you might find that tucking the unit into a baggy back pocket keeps wires out of the way - and the chunky next/previous buttons become beneficial, as they're more easily found.

The pros, such as repeat loops/tempo-pitch change/bass cut and in-built tuner/metronome are all pretty cool and I'd certainly recommend this unit.

I tend to eschew my practice amp nowadays in favour of playing via the tascam through the hi-fi. No problems there either - everything sounds pretty sweet.

Just a word of warning - there are (or were) no spare parts available for the MP3 version.

I had one of these and managed to crack the screen (both the plastic cover and the LCD unit itself) - I put it in my trouser pocket and walked into a newall post. Totally my fault, but was dissapointed that I could not buy a spare for what must be the most vunerable part of the whole thing.

Tascam did make some amends by selling me a new one at wholesale price, but it still seems a shame that spares are not available.

Does anybody out there have a MP3-BT1 that has failed for other reasons? so we could do 'cut and shunt' * job with them.

* pronounce with care!

[quote name='Count Bassy' post='759549' date='Feb 28 2010, 01:09 AM']Just a word of warning - there are (or were) no spare parts available for the MP3 version.

I had one of these and managed to crack the screen (both the plastic cover and the LCD unit itself) - I put it in my trouser pocket and walked into a newall post. Totally my fault, but was dissapointed that I could not buy a spare for what must be the most vunerable part of the whole thing.

Tascam did make some amends by selling me a new one at wholesale price, but it still seems a shame that spares are not available.

Does anybody out there have a MP3-BT1 that has failed for other reasons? so we could do 'cut and shunt' * job with them.

* pronounce with care![/quote]
Yes!! PM me!