Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Seach over for a Yamaha BB614!

iconic

Well, I did it, the final installment in my bass collection :lol: .....I wanted a BB as no one seems to slag them off, I love the oldschool looks and they seem to be a very versatile bass.

I viewed three BB4/6 series that were advertised as "as new"-"unmarked"-"never gigged"...all the usual suspects (one wasn't even the guitar advertised :) ) , [b]road-worn [/b]would have been a far better description :rolleyes: ....but it seems that only Fenders can be tatty and get away with it :lol:

....after spending, what over £90 sheets in fuel and so many hours outa my life I thought bugger this, and bought new again and at a sound price on the colour I wanted...(maybe no-one else likes Raspberry!), sometimes I really think it can be cheaper in the long term...I wouldn't like to think the real cost to my business whilst I have been trundling along looking at firewood with strings, with the "I don't know much about guitars" well yesterday you told me the "action was low with no fret buzz" and the "well it is secondhand so you should expects lumps outa the neck/body/head", yeah it might be secondhand, but yesterday it was "as new" and only played for 10 mins!

....wow, what a surprisingly fantastic bass for the money.... lovely slim & fast neck, looks a bit heavy but it's surprisingly light - far lighter than my VMJ - usual Yammy wonderful build, ideal string spacing for me and an excellent EQ, amazing when that bass EQ is wound up... and sooo many tones it may make the RBX and VMJ redundant.....

....but it's the action that is stunning for me as a newbie...it's lower than a snakes arse in a rut, I never realised just how much this affects the playablity, the RBX is good, but it makes the VMJ look so high I'm sure it could be used for limbo dancing....gota look into lowering it!

Even with this low action she loves to be slapped too, time will tell if it's salad day affection, and I'm off to Wales in few weeks on the bikes, but I can only take one bass with me, I reckon it will be this one.

....anyone here running theirs with different strings, always nice to know what works well?

Edited by iconic

Congrats on your new bass - I've had a couple of BB614's & as you say, they're great basses for the money. As usual for wooden necked basses, they seem to run really well on Marcus Miller sig. DR Fatbeams 40-100. That'll give you a little more speed again and they last ages.

Strangely enough, one of my pupils ordered the raspberry red as well. :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='756726' date='Feb 25 2010, 08:32 AM']Congrats on your new bass - I've had a couple of BB614's & as you say, they're great basses for the money. As usual for wooden necked basses, they seem to run really well on Marcus Miller sig. DR Fatbeams 40-100. That'll give you a little more speed again and they last ages.

Strangely enough, one of my pupils ordered the raspberry red as well. :)[/quote]

thanks