Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ibanez ATK Bridge

KennysFord

Hey Folks,
I'm wondering.
Is it possible to change the fugly bridge on an ATK for someting a bit more easy on the eye or is there a load of gubbins/routing underneath that the shiny thing is hiding.
Thanks in advance.
Oh and does anyone know how the tone compares to say.....an early Blazer with the single bucker type p/pup. Oh and another thing, are the necks chunky like a P or slim like a jazz or inbetweeny..and will it you toast for breakfast. :)

TBH I feel the sheer size and mass of the bridge is largely responsible for the tonal character of the ATK so I wouldn't change it.

I've never removed the bridges on my ATK's so I have no idea about the routings. I suspect the pickup routing won't be much larger than the pickup itself, the part of the bridge passing the pickup on both sides isn't very wide so there can't possibly be a lot to hide.

A routing you do need to keep in mind is the cavity below the holes in the bridge where you can anchor the strings in the bridge if you don't string it through body. Not every replacement bridge will cover this up entirely. I don't know how large it is exactly, but it has to be at least as wide as the space between the outer edges of the string holes in the bridge and at least deep enough to put in the entire ball end to hook it below the baseplate of the bridge. This routing probably also contains the ground wire from the electronics to the bridge.

The neck is big and chunky, similar to a Precision type neck.

Edited by LeftyJ

These are fantastic basses. I think I've said it on here before, but the last time I tried one in a shop (GuitarGuitar in Glasgow) I A/Bed it with a Stingray (2 stingrays actually) at 3 (or more likely 4) times the price. There was no comparison. The ATK blew the 'ray out of the water in every respect...

The bridge is a pretty chunky afair, so you're unlikely to improve performance with an aftermarket upgrade. Live with it I'd say. It's not like you look at it much when you're playing it!

Edited by Bigwan

Cheers Bigwan,
It's not so much an improvement in tone I'd be looking for, I'm just not sure I like the look of them :rolleyes:
I have my eye on one ATM, I'm just going thru' the should I shouldn't I phase. The neck on my Blazer is a bit unstable but the tone is just right me so I'm looking for not so much a replacement Bass but something similar.
Cheers for the help dude.
:)

I bought one recently and would recomend it. Fair enough, it`s a bit ugly but it plays like no other bass for the money. The neck is a handful but it`s worth it for the sounds you can get from it. There`s a couple for sale on here for around £230ish and for that money, it`s a steal!!

Jez

ive had mine for a few years and its a treat but when i fancied upgrading i found a german company
that done a replacement white pickup for it would imagine the bridge would be an upgrade option
to, can't see the comparison to a precision neck i hate p basses and have quite small hands its very
similar to a chubby mm neck to me just my opinion tho if you can try one do it the value for money is
unparalled. remember the bridge allows through body and through bridge stringing i quite like the look
but it could be painted if you fancy im sure, hope this helps