Why become a member? ×

High end cabs and amps.. Help me guys!

JMT3781

HI everyone
need some advice. I have just sold my genz benz gbe750 and 2x12 cab because i got a great deal. Basically, i have a Dynacord lx2200 class d power amp.. its 1100 watts per channel at 4 ohm, and is light as a feather. The headroom is unbelievable, so a bass through it sounds amazing! I really want to use it, as this amp is worth about 1799 on its own, but i need help.
Basically i want a nice valve preamp.. tempted with a summit audio td100 but might miss eq...

then in terms of cabs, i want two 4x10's really, but am stuck between bergantino and markbass. I can get the markbass cabs at trade price, but would have to pay full wack for the bergs.. in just a bit stuck with what to do really...

ANy advice

JMT

[quote name='JMT3781' post='752796' date='Feb 21 2010, 02:01 PM']HI everyone
need some advice. I have just sold my genz benz gbe750 and 2x12 cab because i got a great deal. Basically, i have a Dynacord lx2200 class d power amp.. its 1100 watts per channel at 4 ohm, and is light as a feather. The headroom is unbelievable, so a bass through it sounds amazing! I really want to use it, as this amp is worth about 1799 on its own, but i need help.
Basically i want a nice valve preamp.. tempted with a summit audio td100 but might miss eq...

then in terms of cabs, i want two 4x10's really, but am stuck between bergantino and markbass. I can get the markbass cabs at trade price, but would have to pay full wack for the bergs.. in just a bit stuck with what to do really...

ANy advice

JMT[/quote]

Bergantino's p|ss all over markbass imo :)

[quote name='JMT3781' post='752796' date='Feb 21 2010, 02:01 PM']HI everyone

ANy advice

JMT[/quote]

This is just me, but I would go for the Markbass if you get them at trade. They still hold their value despite sometimes not being the favourite cabs.

I like Markbass cabs, I dont own any, but Id like a few of their smaller ones.

I do believe Markbass have a new line of cabinets due out so I would see what options they have.

What size gigs are you playing? The reason I ask is one Markbass 4x10 might cover it (4ohms). Two of the new 2x12s might be quite nice! Markbass as you probably know have the classic 4x10s, classic 8x10, and the new yellow speaker 8x10 which is apparently pretty damn light for its size.

If you go Berg, the NV610 will slay any Ampeg 8x10 going. It will also slay your bank balance! I nearly went for one second hand a few times on basschat, but I just cannot fit it in any car without changing it to an estate or fiddling with the seats. Its a shame...one day I will no doubt bite the bullet and get one anyway...but until ive got a safe and reliable way of getting it around, I cant get one :)

Edited by Musicman20

If you've got the dosh and you want light cabs then I'd recommend Bergantino! If you don't mind heavier cabs Aguilar DB's are cheaper and sound very, very good. If you like Markbass cabs (I don't), for the money, MB cabs would be your best deal.

You're not far from Bass Direct. Go and have a listen!

Thanks for the pre amp advice, ive just ordered a glockenklang one.. so hopefully that'll be what im looking for

[quote name='chris_b' post='752916' date='Feb 21 2010, 04:12 PM']The Ampeg pre, which isn't made anymore, had 5 valves and was the same one they used on their SVT 2 and 3 amps. Also, Aguilar made some good pre amps.[/quote]

i did look for the aquilar pre... really enjoyed playing through one with a qsc power amp. Have managed to get a glockenklang cheap(ish) so i'll see how i get on with that... just need some cabs now, i'm off to the for sale forum :)

[quote name='JTUK' post='752946' date='Feb 21 2010, 04:38 PM']If I were going for a pre/power amp set-up, I'd try and source a DB680 for a bi-amped option or DB659 for mono.
Last time I saw a 680 it was up for £700 in VGC.[/quote]