Why become a member? ×

More Stingray/ G&L questions

machinehead

[quote]Ps. I'm glad so few people realise how good g&l are. There arent enough USA g&l around in UK for all of us.[/quote]

Fully agree, but, as with all these things its subjective - My 85 G&L (with the by Leo Fender label and non pointy headstock) was way cheaper than Fender P or J at the time. Its like a P bass on steroids, stays in tune and for me does it all. Had this one for 20 out of 38 years bass playing, its staying with me until I play my last note.

Would like to find another one.

[quote name='3below' post='1087055' date='Jan 12 2011, 07:03 PM']Fully agree, but, as with all these things its subjective - My 85 G&L (with the by Leo Fender label and non pointy headstock) was way cheaper than Fender P or J at the time. Its like a P bass on steroids, stays in tune and for me does it all. Had this one for 20 out of 38 years bass playing, its staying with me until I play my last note.

Would like to find another one.[/quote]
What ya got? :)

[quote]What ya got? smile.gif[/quote]

Apologies - SB1, sunburst, maple neck, black crinkle metal scratchplate, black crinkle bridge, MFD pickup, chipped and slightly beat up finish (not me). TI flats & I love it.

just like this [url="http://forum.warwick.de/24-basses/7488-g-l-sb-1-20-years-old-next-month.html"]this one[/url] (not mine) other than mine has black plastic vintage radio style knobs and the gold sticker on my neckplate is wider with more patent numbers (obsessive or what) and the finish on this one is in far better condition. Then again I didn't have to pay for relicing, it came with it.

[quote name='3below' post='1087250' date='Jan 12 2011, 09:11 PM']Apologies - SB1, sunburst, maple neck, black crinkle metal scratchplate, black crinkle bridge, MFD pickup, chipped and slightly beat up finish (not me). TI flats & I love it.

just like this [url="http://forum.warwick.de/24-basses/7488-g-l-sb-1-20-years-old-next-month.html"]this one[/url] (not mine) other than mine has black plastic vintage radio style knobs and the gold sticker on my neckplate is wider with more patent numbers (obsessive or what) and the finish on this one is in far better condition. Then again I didn't have to pay for relicing, it came with it.[/quote]
Sweet.
I have TIs on my L-1000. Sounds more P than a P. :)
I'm also constructing a wee project using an SB-1 pup (well the split P from an SB-2) and a MFD humbucker you might want to check out in the build diaries section. I've moved the SB-1 pup up closer to the bridge and I'm installing a series/parallel switch on it.

[quote name='Bassnut62' post='1086945' date='Jan 12 2011, 05:16 PM']A big factor that you might want to consider is that the L2000 or asat sound great in active or passive. The ray is only active.[/quote]

Not mine :)

I put a JE preamp in it which sounds better than the original 2EQ it came with, plaus it has a passive/active switch.
Interestingly, a large proportion of the time I play using a tone that's almost identical to the passive Stingray, I've come to notice: I could have saved lots of $$ and simply remove the preamp! :)

(not really, I *do* use the preamp)

[quote name='machinehead' post='752718' date='Feb 21 2010, 12:33 PM']I've never been struck by any Stingray I've tried until yesterday...

I tried a new 2EQ and I was very impressed by everything about this bass. It felt unbreakable and really well put together, flawless finish, lovely blue body colour and a tight focussed sound. (I find describing a sound very difficult, it's the best I can muster) I almost got the credit card out there and then.

But then I took my own advice which I've tried to keep to for nearly 40 years. Always wait for two weeks and then, if you still want to buy something, go ahead. Avoid rash decisions. (I haven't always kept to this advice and made some horrible and expensive mistakes)

Anyway, I got thinking about the price and it seems cheap at £999 for a brand new Stingray. Am I right?? (They have a black one at the same price BTW, PM me if you're interested. They are an online shop but don't update their website with current stock.)

Then I got to thinking about alternatives and remembered a member here saying that after years of playing Stingrays he now prefers the G&L L2000. I think he said it did everything the Stingray did and more. And at around half the price! I've liked all three G&Ls I tried in recent years.

So, I'm asking about the price and how the two instruments compare for sound, quality, playability etc.

I've done the search on the subjects but I would appreciate anyones experience and opinions.

Thanks.

Frank.[/quote]

I'm a Stingray fan.
I have a SUB5 (more Stingray than a Stingray5 according to some :)) and just got a G&L 2500 Tribute.

The G&L is lovely. But it does *NOT* sound like a Stingray. Nope. Not at all.

If you like the G&L get that. If you want a Stingray sound, get a... Stingray.
Or get both! :)

[quote name='mcnach' post='1089801' date='Jan 14 2011, 08:17 PM']I'm a Stingray fan.
I have a SUB5 (more Stingray than a Stingray5 according to some :)) and just got a G&L 2500 Tribute.

The G&L is lovely. But it does *NOT* sound like a Stingray. Nope. Not at all.

If you like the G&L get that. If you want a Stingray sound, get a... Stingray.
Or get both! :lol:[/quote]

Haha. I already have too many basses. I've been selling gear recently to raise some cash and then you come along and tell me to buy a Stingray as well as the L2000 I bought last year.

Get thee behind me Satan. :)

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' post='1089910' date='Jan 14 2011, 09:59 PM']Haha. I already have too many basses. I've been selling gear recently to raise some cash and then you come along and tell me to buy a Stingray as well as the L2000 I bought last year.

Get thee behind me Satan. :)

Frank.[/quote]

I'l tell you a story:

I had a SUB5, and a Warwick Corvette $$ among other basses.
I decided that since I rarely used the Warwick, I might as well sell it and liberate cash for toys. Then I saw a G&L L2500 Tribute in lovely natural/maple.
I figured: I compare the SUB5 and the L2500 side by side, choose the one I prefer and sell the other. The net effect is the loss of TWO basses. Sounds good, eh?

I sold the Warwick.
I bought the G&L.
Now I'm keeping both SUB5 and G&L.

:)