Why become a member? ×

Classic Ibanez

FlatEric

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Modo74' post='813422' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:29 AM']1979 (I think) Silver Series PJ, modded with Badass II bridge and Seymour Duncan QP pups.[/quote]

Interesting, that - I'm pretty sure that's a hybrid, a Silver Series J neck on an older P body.

The earlier Ibanez 2369 featured a P/J layout & block inlays but I've never seen this on an SS. The big black oversprays on the body suggest a laminated construction (probably butcher block/veneers) which I don't think an SS would have.

I might be wrong, in which case this is a proper rarity - I think you should post some pics on the [url="http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/"]Ibanez Collectors forum[/url]. Is there a serial number on the neck plate? The first two numbers will be the year - although '79 would be very surprising, Ibanez stopped making copies around 1977.

Jon.

I'm at work at the moment so I'll check the serial when I get home.

As far as the neck goes, and assuming the necks follow a similar profile to Fender, it certainly isnt a Jazz neck profile. (its a lot fatter than any Fender Jazz I've ever played, definitly closer to a Precision type).

I'll chuck some pics on that ibanez collectors forum later. Thaks for the info.

I've had a few Japanese Jazz copies & I'd say on the whole the necks feel bigger than real Fenders - I think P & J copy necks were likely the same apart from cosmetic variations.

I have a pre '75 Ibanez 2366B Precision & the neck's nothing like a real one!

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='814522' date='Apr 22 2010, 12:44 AM']I've had a few Japanese Jazz copies & I'd say on the whole the necks feel bigger than real Fenders - I think P & J copy necks were likely the same apart from cosmetic variations.

I have a pre '75 Ibanez 2366B Precision & the neck's nothing like a real one!

J.[/quote]

Jon, Hi. Some nice additions with the Blazer and the Silver series - would be great to more more added. :)

I'm a big fan of Japanese gear, and have some knowledge but I am constantly amazed that you always manage
to have some input on the subject.
Where on earth did you get all of this from? Have you taken exams on the subject?
Over some period of time you must have done a lot of research.
Is it just a genuine interest or are you getting therapy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can let me know when the doctor has gone. :lol:

Cheers. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Bassassin' post='813526' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:41 PM']Interesting, that - I'm pretty sure that's a hybrid, a Silver Series J neck on an older P body.

The earlier Ibanez 2369 featured a P/J layout & block inlays but I've never seen this on an SS. The big black oversprays on the body suggest a laminated construction (probably butcher block/veneers) which I don't think an SS would have.

I might be wrong, in which case this is a proper rarity - I think you should post some pics on the [url="http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/"]Ibanez Collectors forum[/url]. Is there a serial number on the neck plate? The first two numbers will be the year - although '79 would be very surprising, Ibanez stopped making copies around 1977.

Jon.[/quote]

I've joined up over at Ibanez Collectors, and found a link to a really good vintage Ibanez site. It doesn't look like mine is a rarity unfortunately. Same model, just a different colour.

I've started a thread and posted some pics over there anyway, so thanks for the info.

[quote name='Modo74' post='814794' date='Apr 22 2010, 11:15 AM']I've joined up over at Ibanez Collectors, and found a link to a really good vintage Ibanez site. It doesn't look like mine is a rarity unfortunately. Same model, just a different colour.

I've started a thread and posted some pics over there anyway, so thanks for the info.[/quote]
See - I never pretended to be all-knowing! :) That's really interesting, never seen a Silver series version of the PJ/blocks 2369 before. Did you find out what year yours was?

FlatEric - Obviously, I need to get out more & make some friends apart from the voices in my head! I suppose my interest stems from having started out playing JapCrap, back when the term wasn't quite as tongue-in-cheek as it is now, and then subsequently realising that a lot of it was actually really good! So many basses & guitars derided as badly-made planks, just in need of a decent setup, really.

There are quite a few forums dealing with the higher-profile brands & obviously lesser-known ones come up too - I seem to have a knack for the detective stuff, working out who made what & recognising the quirks & traits of different manufacturers. I buy & sell a lot of JapCrap (mostly guitars) too - most of them are car-boot restoration jobs, and getting hands-on stripping down & tidying up these things is a massive educational process in itself. I quite like the profiteering aspect, too! :rolleyes:

Dek - do you have a clear, hi-res close up of the trc/logo from your old Faker? I quite fancy having a go at making a replica & engraving the logo.

J.

• 2 months later...

Hi.

Some nice Classic Ibanez - keep 'em coming!

Here's the brother of the other one I posted.
Simple but very effective actives.

I am fixing up my battered old blazer, thanks to some parts that Jon collected
for me.

Thanks Jon, soon you'll get to see the old beast. :)

Cheers. :rolleyes:

Edited by FlatEric

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Picked up this old warhorse for next to nothing recently. It's pretty battered but that doesn't bother me at all. Was looking for a bit of info on it as I know next to nothing. Anyone help me out? Is it worth anything? It dates '76 judging by the serial number. Was hoping to fit a new bridge to it - can anyone recommend me one that'll fit? Thanks dudes.

Sorry for the crappy photos!

Sweet! What are the pickups? How's the neck on it?

z

[quote name='minceprince' post='1064070' date='Dec 19 2010, 08:00 PM']Picked up this old warhorse for next to nothing recently. It's pretty battered but that doesn't bother me at all. Was looking for a bit of info on it as I know next to nothing. Anyone help me out? Is it worth anything? It dates '76 judging by the serial number. Was hoping to fit a new bridge to it - can anyone recommend me one that'll fit? Thanks dudes.[/quote]

[quote name='zbigniew' post='1064324' date='Dec 20 2010, 10:06 AM']Sweet! What are the pickups? How's the neck on it?

z[/quote]

They're Semour Duncan Basslines. Already on there when I got it. The neck is lovely. A little bit of fret wear and the intonation is kind of out on the E string though. I know nothing about setting up a guitar, hence the question about replacing the bridge. Think I'll just take it in to see a professional in the new year. Other than that I'm stoked with it!

[quote name='minceprince' post='1064070' date='Dec 19 2010, 10:00 PM']Picked up this old warhorse for next to nothing recently. It's pretty battered but that doesn't bother me at all. Was looking for a bit of info on it as I know next to nothing. Anyone help me out? Is it worth anything? It dates '76 judging by the serial number. Was hoping to fit a new bridge to it - can anyone recommend me one that'll fit? Thanks dudes.[/quote]
That's an Ibby 2369B/WH. Quite an interesting bass, it's known as the "Tetsu" bass, because Faces bassist Tetsu Yamauchi was involved in its development & subsequently used them.

Vintage Ibbys are quite collectable & 70s ones like this are none too common in the UK, primarily because the competing Antoria range were exactly the same instruments (including this bass!) and a lot cheaper when new. This being the case, don't do any mods you can't reverse if you decide to sell it at some point, so if you replace the bridge, use one that will fit the existing screwholes. A standard Fender-spaced bridge should fit, something like a Gotoh 201 should drop straight in. They lack the 2 front holes, but the base plate will cover them.

As far as value's concerned, I'd think maybe £200 - £250ish. Vintage JapCrap isn't selling quite as well as perhaps a year or two ago, but the Ibanez brand does still incite a bit of an Ebay feeding frenzy.

Jon.