Why become a member? ×

Guitar Amp question

Hit&Run

This is really a favour for the guitarist in my band, who's looking at buying a 2nd hand Ashdown fallen angel 60 valve combo.

These amps seem popular with metal players, so is that what they're predominantly designed for, and will they sound nice at lower gain levels?

He's after a more 'traditional' valve sound (classic rock I suppose) and was wondering if this amp could perform well in that respect.

Any help you can provide will be class.

Thanks,
H&R

As its an ashdown valve amp you should be able to turn the valve stage up to get the sound nice and dirty without turning the amp up to much to be honest.

I would also say being a valve amp it should give him the sound he is looking for i would suggest that he tries one out before buying one. Plus there are a couple on ebay right now so im sure he could find a good second hand one fairly cheap if he keeps his eyes pealed.

being an ashdown user myself i can say hoestly that they have a lovely sound to them and i would think it would dp the job nicely.

Markus

I think the Fallen Angel is voiced for a bit more gain and a more metal sound - probably uses a pair of 6L6s or EL34s run a bit hot to get a bit more gain. If he wants a bit less and wants an Ashdown it's worth looking at the old Peacemaker 40 if he can find one (which will also probably be UK made with a Cabtex cabinet).
Laney's LC and VC30s are also very nice and can often be picked up cheap - there is a used but current model LC30 in Rattle and Drum in Derby for under £300 at the moment, which has to be a bargain