Why become a member? ×

neck issue on hollowbody bass

I have just collected my Dean Cabbie bass in bright yellow. (flea bay bargain)
I know it needs new strings. I've played it at different times in the office,and briefly at home to test the electrics.

Well,everything feels/sounds ok,but there may be a neck issue.
(please tell me it's not too serious :) )
Condition wise,I'd say it's about 9 out of 10. (Slight corrosion at bridge. No dent's/scratches/chips etc.)
However,around the 23rd fret the neck seems to be missing glue towards the pickup.
The neck looks like it's rising slightly (gap about the size if a 2p coin)

Question is, is this seriously damaged ? Or is it a quick fix by mr. repairman?
Things to bear in mind are, if it's too costly to fix I won't bother.
Also ,as I mentioned above , it plays ok . Please bear in mind,it's a big hollowbody bass.neck thru,not bolt on .

Please advise

Cheers

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Thanks for your replies folks. I will ,at some stage upload a couple of pics.
At the moment, my relatively new phone is hopeless with apple macs.
So ,when I find my camera, I'll upload.

Back to the issue, I think it's a combination of what you've both said.
Set/glued neck deliberately (hopefully) det in a certain position, with room for a shim :)

Any more ideas?

Cheers

[quote name='Musicman69' post='750160' date='Feb 18 2010, 08:33 PM']Im certainly no expert but it looks like its meant to be that way. And you say it plays ok.. if its sounds good too, enjoy it![/quote]

Hope you're right. (just looks a bit odd I think) Thanks for your kind words :)

[quote name='Musicman69' post='750160' date='Feb 18 2010, 08:33 PM']Im certainly no expert but it looks like its meant to be that way.[/quote]
I'd agree with that. The fretboard itself looks flat; it's just the bottom edge of the neck that's been kind of chamfered off. Maybe it's supposed to look cool. Give it a couple of years though, and there'll be enough dust in that gap that there won't [b]be[/b] a gap any more.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='750183' date='Feb 18 2010, 08:47 PM']I'd agree with that. The fretboard itself looks flat; it's just the bottom edge of the neck that's been kind of chamfered off. Maybe it's supposed to look cool. Give it a couple of years though, and there'll be enough dust in that gap that there won't [b]be[/b] a gap any more.[/quote]

oh, there's dust in there :) I'm beginning to feel reassured (he says ,crossing his fingers) :rolleyes:

Actually, it does look like neck is a bit f***ed :) I looked at other ones on the net. Wonder how much I'll get stung for adjustment.
It's a 'set neck' . Hopefully ,it's not set too badly. It does need new strings anyway,but I don't really wanna fork out a huge
amount for a 'bargain bass'.

Wow! Thanks again for all your help. I suppose ,when you see something'different' from
the norm basswise,you do start to wonder.
Must say that I had a result, as I've been looking on 'n' off for sometime .
I expect to get some strange looks,and plenty of comments from the band nxt wk. :)

Now to get the new strings sorted..........