Why become a member? ×

Pedulla MVP PentaBuzz(5s) Fretless Classic Bass

eubassix

Pedulla MVP PentaBuzz(5s) Fretless Signature String Bass ... I've been 'holding-back' on this as (1) I don't really want to sell it (.. but will always tend to favour my Kinal MK-5FL), (2) didn't realise I'd be be needing to fund a new boiler, and (3) didn't want to step on SSP's toes (as I realise he'd had some problems selling his P'Buzz - now gone!).
I think most will know this bass and its merits, but am including some description from me and Pedulla re. concept & specs. etc.
Pedulla MVP 5 string fretless Bass; vintage cherry(burst?), Bartolini P and J active pickups, Volume, Pan and Active Bass + treble Tone knobs, great black hardware. OHS(fitted)C. Bass is in near new shape except for a small 'ding' on the fretboard where the coating is missing. It's in an odd place (just above the 7th fretline & between the B & E strings - so it doesn't affect playing at all.. If you're in tune. I'm guessing the original owner must have knocked the 'board here and the coating has gone; as you can see, the rest of the f/board is shiny and superb)
[i]Based on the unique design that first brought M.V. Pedulla to prominence, the MVP (fretted) and Buzz (fretless) basses combine hard-hitting tone with player-friendly ergonomics, making them favorites for the stage and studio alike. Available in 4-,5-,6-, and 8-string configurations, the MVP is a bass featuring neck-through body construction for superb sustain and tone, plus a sleek and facile neck shape, ebony fingerboard, and a beautifully sculpted flame maple body. The ergonomic design includes a deep cutaway on the treble side for easy access to all 24 frets, and an extended bass-side horn that provides a perfect balance point when a strap is used. The 5-string and 6-string basses are available in both 17.5mm spacing and 19mm spacing.[/i] [b]This one's 17.5 (adjustable, 17-18mm). [/b][i]A three-piece laminated maple neck passes through the entire length of the body, providing maximum focus and sustain. In addition, a double -acting truss rod and two steel stiffening bars in the neck reinforce and maintain stability. The 24-fret ebony fingerboard is inlaid with 5mm pearl dots, and its hardness resists wear and contributes to the MVP's distinctive tone and sustain.
The MVP/Buzz is available with your choice of pickups: PJ (JJ, or Soapbar)[/i]
[i]PJ combination: This set-up is extremely versatile and as a result is the most commonly used pickup configuration of the MVP/Buzz series. The PJ, to our ears, is the best way to reproduce what the strings and wood of the instrument are doing acoustically. The split “P” has a tight midrange growl, and combines very well with the upper mids of “J” pickup. With a full-range, flat frequency response, the PJ set-up allows you to tailor sound through careful selection of amplifier, cabinet and EQ
A durable and lustrous polyester finish protects the MVP/BUZZ from the rigors of performance and travel. The fretless version of the MVP, the Buzz series, embodies the essence of fretless bass: responsive to every nuance, able to translate the most subtle of musical expressions, yet possessing the same authoritative tonal spectrum as the MVP. Its polyester-finished fingerboard is glass-smooth, giving the Buzz it’s distinctive voice, while protecting the ebony from the rigors of performance and round wound strings. Inlaid white markers in the fingerboard guide the player, and are especially helpful to both beginners and seasoned veterans. All other features of the Buzz are identical to the fretted MVP models.
Details/Options: BODYWINGS: AAA Flame maple, Optional Limited Edition 5A Flame or Quilt maple. NECK: Capillary (neck-through), 3 piece maple laminate. SCALE LENGTH: 34 inches. FINGERBOARD: Ebony . NUMBER OF FRETS: 24 inlaid white markers, (plus finish on the fretless Buzz fingerboard). INLAY: Mother of Pearl, 5mm dots. NUT: Brass. TRUSS ROD: Single rod, double-acting adjustable with two stiffening bars. WEIGHT: range from 9 to 10 lbs. HARDWARE COLOR: Black. BRIDGE: ABM 3-way adjustable machined brass with roller saddles. MACHINE HEADS: M.V. Pedulla/Gotoh. STRAP PINS: Gotoh. PICKUPS: Made for M.V. Pedulla by Bartolini: PJ. ELECTRONICS: Active, Bartolini., CONTROLS: volume, pan, bass boost/cut, treble boost/cut. CONTROL KNOBS: Anodized aluminum (black with marker). FINISH: Gloss polyester, including BUZZ fingerboard. COLOUR: Vintage Cherry (Sunburst) [/i]

Edited by eubassix

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='autostop' post='760630' date='Mar 1 2010, 12:28 PM']the best fretless of the world, don't sell it[/quote]

.. totally agree ... except for this one, which is effectively a bolt-on Pedulla+++

Okay, and what exactly is this wonderful 'effectively' bolt-on Pedulla? I am a huge Buzz fan and considered this one, but I prefer a 4 string traditional Buzz over a Penta (which I used to own, but which proved to have too many strings for me).

[quote name='evoman' post='766550' date='Mar 6 2010, 11:44 PM']Okay, and what exactly is this wonderful 'effectively' bolt-on Pedulla? I am a huge Buzz fan and considered this one, but I prefer a 4 string traditional Buzz over a Penta (which I used to own, but which proved to have too many strings for me).[/quote]

The photos he posted in the post before yours are that of a Kinal Custom V. Lovely looking bass!