Why become a member? ×

Ashdown bass drivers

elliswasp

Hi all i was wondering if there is any difference in the blueline drivers that ashdown use in some of their combo's and cabs and the more standard looking black drivers?

also i have heard that putting eminence drivers in your cabs can make a huge difference to the sound that is produced is this true and has anyone done this or changed their drivers for anything else?

cheers

Markus

[quote name='elliswasp' post='745974' date='Feb 15 2010, 03:36 PM']right now thats interesting i have a 210t cab with black drivers in which i assume are celestion and i have a 115 cab with a blueline driver would you replace all of them or keep the celestions and change the blueline 15.[/quote]

I have a MAG210T "Deep" cab with blue coned drivers. They are marked on the magnet "Designed in the USA by Eminence, manufactured in China" (or something to that effect...)

I submit that "Ashdown Blue Line" drivers, are whatever Ashdown say they are...

And clearly the drivers used in the MAG210 are different from those used in the ABM 210, as the (quoted) sensitivies are different (98dB -vs- 102dB)... and the current pictures on the Ashdown website seem to have black cones (for what it is worth...)

I think that replacing them with *any* suitable quality drivers would be an improvement, as the ones they fit really have to be very much from the, errrmmm "value" end of the market...

(edit to introduce the word "suitable" in the last sentence...)

Edited by AlanP2008

[quote name='elliswasp' post='745974' date='Feb 15 2010, 03:36 PM']right now thats interesting i have a 210t cab with black drivers in which i assume are celestion and i have a 115 cab with a blueline driver would you replace all of them or keep the celestions and change the blueline 15.[/quote]

Not convinced those cabs would agree too well. Wouldn't mess with changing drivers, pick which one you like and go for another the same, cause changing speaker in the will just make them even more oddly matched.

If the 15 is the sealed one, probably leave as is, speakers can get funny in sealed boxes, you don't have the ability to retune the port to suit.

hm now i must say im a little reluctant to believe that as they do not look the same when you take the covers off they have a different type of application around the outside of the driver to allow the speaker to move they may well be the same wattage but im sure there is more than just the colour that is diffeent but i can only go on what i can see i guess.

Markus