Why become a member? ×

*edit*

dlloyd

The Boomstick Bottom Feeder is a clone of the old 440 but its amazing, it's my personal fav filter, it's small, true bypass, has a massive range of sounds and is just so musical which is the main thing, a lot of people buy it then think it's subtle but get it in a band situation and its amazing because that huge wetness that other filters might have just sounds like drop out live.

The FX25b is horrible, simply horrible complete and utter waste of time.

The FX25 is cool but very much a 2 trick pony with a maximum of 2 settings one just being a big dubby low pass filter. But generally it's just to unpredictable to use usefully.

So in my opinion just to give you a good idea of what I think the Boomstick Bottom Feeder is better than are
Moog Low Pass Filter
Emma Discumbobulator
Xotic Bass Robotalk
EHX Bassballs
EHX Q-tron Mini, Normal, Plus
Boss AW-2
Guyatone BR-2
EBS Bass IQ
Digitech BSW
DOD FX25B, FX25
MXR Bass Auto Q

I've owned or used all of these and end of the day only thing I found that sounds better than the Bottom Feeder is an Original Mutron III or a similar period Mutron Clone but these are like 6 times the size and very difficult to power as Higgie will tell you, also alot of the parts in them degrade so you can't always get a decent one for you £300-£450

So visit www.tonefactor.com and check it out :)

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='82071' date='Nov 1 2007, 08:30 AM']The Boomstick Bottom Feeder is a clone of the old 440 but its amazing, it's my personal fav filter, it's small, true bypass, has a massive range of sounds and is just so musical which is the main thing, a lot of people buy it then think it's subtle but get it in a band situation and its amazing because that huge wetness that other filters might have just sounds like drop out live.

The FX25b is horrible, simply horrible complete and utter waste of time.

The FX25 is cool but very much a 2 trick pony with a maximum of 2 settings one just being a big dubby low pass filter. But generally it's just to unpredictable to use usefully.

So in my opinion just to give you a good idea of what I think the Boomstick Bottom Feeder is better than are
Moog Low Pass Filter
Emma Discumbobulator
Xotic Bass Robotalk
EHX Bassballs
EHX Q-tron Mini, Normal, Plus
Boss AW-2
Guyatone BR-2
EBS Bass IQ
Digitech BSW
DOD FX25B, FX25
MXR Bass Auto Q

I've owned or used all of these and end of the day only thing I found that sounds better than the Bottom Feeder is an Original Mutron III or a similar period Mutron Clone but these are like 6 times the size and very difficult to power as Higgie will tell you, also alot of the parts in them degrade so you can't always get a decent one for you £300-£450

So visit www.tonefactor.com and check it out :)[/quote]

I have a DOD FX25 for sale on Ebay if that's of any use to anyone?

Stu

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='82186' date='Nov 1 2007, 12:00 PM']So you got a BIN price or you want us to bid? If so post the link

Cheers[/quote]

Here's the link:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330181645702&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=014"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=014[/url]

Cheers
Stu

I really liked my FX25. Tayste is right about it beinga one or two trick piny, but that suited me. Now I use the env. filter on my pod which sounds very similar. I play my bass with a little spare headroom on the volume control and it acts as a sensitivity control when the filter is on.

The thing I really don't like with some filters I have tried (especially EHX) is the 'whistling' you get over the low notes - rather than a squelch like on the fx25 it drops all the bass and whistles uncontrolably as the filter is slammed wide open. Nasty, and kills your ears live.

[quote name='tayste_2000' post='82071' date='Nov 1 2007, 08:30 AM']The FX25...generally it's just to unpredictable to use usefully.[/quote]

Right on the money. I have let go of mine exactly for that reason... the vol spikes were horrendous.

the fx25b's strength was that it did manage to lessen that effect because of blending in the dry signal, but it was pretty useless too.

At the moment I have a micro qtron which is ok... nothing spectacular, but its a little more usable than the dod versions... (dunno about the 440, never tried it.)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='dlloyd' post='82007' date='Oct 31 2007, 11:34 PM']I'm thinking about picking another of these up after selling my FX25B a while back. I'm leaning towards the FX25 because I didn't really use the blend control much. How does it compare apart from the blend?

I'm also curious about the 440. Okay, they're more difficult to come by, but other than that and the Radiohead thing, is there any other reason they are so much more expensive? How do they compare with the FX25 pedals?[/quote]

The filter i've been using for a while is the Boss Dynamic Filter and its awsome!! why boss discontinued in the late eighties i'll never know.it sounds great and you can add an expression pedal to it.Flea used one live for years.i got mine of ebay and when i saw another i bought another as a spare just in case.you can usually pick one up on ebay.ive had a dod fx25 and it was ok but never worked very well with active basses and lacked bottom.look out for a dynamic filter mate for instant funk :)

• 1 year later...