Why become a member? ×

Blue Darryl

Sean

I picked this up at the weekend. It's a 2003 model with Aero pickups. It came with a hard Gator case which is the best case I've had by far and it also came with schaller straplocks and a beautiful Levy's extra-wide black leather strap which is beautifully soft. The bass weighs in at 8.75 lbs which is pretty light and about half way between it's 44-02 and 55-02 stable mates.

I'll put some better pics up at the weekend when I can get some natural light.

It lives up to its reputation and then some - this is the most instantly impressive instrument I've played in years. It feels like your old favourite within seconds of playing it. The Aeros are very ballsy and hugely different to the Fralins that are fitted to some of these; it suprised me how different they actually are. There's a pick guard on order from Jeannie's and I'm not saying what colour it is until it comes but I will say that I nearly had an orange pearl but changed my mind at last minute :)

It's nice to see that the frets are above the binding, it worried me on my old Jazz Deluxe that if the frets ever needed sorting out the binding would have to be redone - not the case with these.

Nice one Sean. I like the purple strings too.

I'd be very interested to put your and mine side by side and see what the differnce is between the Aeros and the Fralins. My DJ5 has Aeros and they are great but the DJ4 has Fralins. Perhaps I should fit some Wizard 80s and see what happens.

My DJ4 is my bass of choice and I use it all the time. It is just so playable.

[quote name='obbm' post='81936' date='Oct 31 2007, 08:32 PM']Nice one Sean. I like the purple strings too.

I'd be very interested to put your and mine side by side and see what the differnce is between the Aeros and the Fralins. My DJ5 has Aeros and they are great but the DJ4 has Fralins. Perhaps I should fit some Wizard 80s and see what happens.

My DJ4 is my bass of choice and I use it all the time. It is just so playable.[/quote]

Glad to have been of service Dave :)

Funnily enough, I've recently re-joined the Lakland club with Muya's DJ 5 stringer. Definitely a keeper too

[quote name='obbm' post='81936' date='Oct 31 2007, 08:32 PM']Nice one Sean. I like the purple strings too.[/quote]

They're actually pink ones, Dave. I ordered Purple Passion but they got lost in the post from the USA and the nice chap sent me some pink ones instead which show up as purple anyway which makes me think what the purple ones look like!

After Blue Darryl's first night at rehearsal last night I know I won't be fitting a J-Retro. For me it doesn't need it, I love the sound of these Aeros through my GK. We went through It's Raining Men (camp? who sir? me sir? no sir!), We Are Family, Blame it on the Boogie and I Want You Back and this bass sounds right. I broke one of our big rules last night because I just couldn't stop slapping the thing between songs but the guys are pretty understanding about new toys; I know I won't get away with it next week!

[quote name='Sean' post='82862' date='Nov 2 2007, 06:32 PM']After Blue Darryl's first night at rehearsal last night I know I won't be fitting a J-Retro. For me it doesn't need it, I love the sound of these Aeros through my GK. We went through It's Raining Men (camp? who sir? me sir? no sir!), We Are Family, Blame it on the Boogie and I Want You Back and this bass sounds right. I broke one of our big rules last night because I just couldn't stop slapping the thing between songs but the guys are pretty understanding about new toys; I know I won't get away with it next week![/quote]
Lovely bass Sean!

I have exactly the same bass but the 5 string version and like you, I think these basses sound great without a J-retro or other active circuits. Nothing wong with J-retro mind, it's just that these Laklands as you say 'sound right' as they are!

Nik