Why become a member? ×

Replacing current gear with M9?

M4L666

Well obviously you have more than the 2 choices of either your current gear or an M9, but if you were to choose between the two there's only going to be one winner - the M9, no offense to your gear. I do like separate stomp boxes however, and can't see myself ever going for a multi-fx like the M9 as my main set up.

Best thing you can do is if you definitely want an M9, buy it and see what it can replace from your setup. You don't just have to use multi OR singles. I found the drives a bit lacking personally, so I have my old distortion pedal still. And I have a separate compressor pedal with mine, as it is always on and I didn't want to waste one of my 3 valuable M9 effects slots with that.

Sounds like it may do far far more than you actually need right now, unless you plan to expand your effects usage.

Looking at your replies, I guess what I really want to know is how good is the M9? I was thinking of some singles as well (Bass Big Muff and VT Bass....mmmmm) , as I've heard the drives on the M9 are a bit weak, but will they tide me over till I can raise money for the singles?

And I use loads of effects when given the chance, but right now I don't have the opportunity. I guess I should say that I used to have a Bass PODXT, but I sold it, to my eternal regret. Some more questions:

How much does the expression pedal add, and are the effects with it good?
How good is it with bass- it is generally considered to be a guitar unit, right?

Edited by M4L666

[quote name='M4L666' post='742370' date='Feb 11 2010, 06:41 PM']It doesn't have the same kind of foot control.[/quote]

it doesn't seem so different, looking at manual you have option of 6 of which you can use 3 at any given time.

The xt live has footswitches for 3 effects for every patch plus an additional one for compression and or amp model, and 4 different patch per bank.

You would have to use it slightly differently but I think it would give you the similar flexability, a bass focus to the effects with extra options like the amp modeling and additional compression and Eq for less money. It's worth a look.

Delays and reverbs aren't bass specific anyway. The filters are generally better on guitar I've found, but some of them sound good with bass. The wah's aren't amazing though IMO. The modulation is ace. There is a specific bass octave effect, there are decent compressors for bass, some of the EQs are good with bass... It's only really the drives and a few of the filters that I find weak with bass. I know some people love the drives though, so don't just take my word for it.

And if you don't have an expression pedal, you miss half the fun of the M9.

[quote name='M4L666' post='743080' date='Feb 12 2010, 01:50 PM']Sorry for double post, I'm on my phone, Luke- can they be any three effects?[/quote]

no, I guess that's the downside.
first pedal is either turning the amp mod or the compression on and off.
second is the 'stomp', think overdrives, fuzzes synths and so on.
third is 'mod' think a second compression, chorus phaser etc
forth is "dly/reverb" which is delays and reverbs.
then you got expression pedal/wah, tap tempo pedal and pedals to change the patch you're in.

I guess it all depends how you are going to use it and what sort of music you play.
My old band, if i used effects then, would have been fine with the xt live. I would have set it up with the effects all preset on a bank of patches. Patch one for verse, patch two for bridge, patch three chorus, and so on. using a different bank for each song. I wouldn't of actually ever needed to turn the individual effects on and off.
However we were playing dancy pop sillyness which you could do this with. I imagine with other genras the ability to just turn stuff on and off when you felt it was right would be better.

the xt live also has all the Pod modeling and audio-interfacing abilities which are pretty usefull too.
reason i suggest it is as an option is I bought it, and played it, didn't massivly get on with it then sold it on. You can pick one up for not a crazy amount to try and then if it isn't for you sell (or swap thanks rasta!) it on. I dunno, it may be a cheaper option. Of course you may really really want the m9 in particular, in which case, why not?

Hmmm, a problem is that Stomp covers so much- you can't have, say an auto-wah [i]and[/i] a drive, which always bugged me. With the X3, can you string any effects you want together in any order? I did like the XT, but I swapped it for a proper rig. Another gripe with the XT was that the expression pedal could only do wah or volume, but that might have been the foot controller I had.

*strokes imaginary beard*

The M9 easily covers the fx you have and I wouldn't bother with the Bass Big Muff as there is nothing weak about the drives on the M9.

I personally would always recommend the Catalinbread SFT over the Bass VT as that's what I use with my M9 and it's awesome.

Also the M9 is much better the the XT live mainly because you have more fx and they are better but most importantly you can decide fx chain order.

I've been using an M9 for a while now, and I'd agree with Ste that the drives, or at least some of them are really quite good. I'm not overly keen on the Mutron cloned effects tbh, and have put in a feature update request for a Boss FT-2, but I won't hold my breath.

I owned a bass Pod XT Live for a while, and gave up with it quite quickly because it was too much hassle wrestling settings out of it. The M9 is completely the opposite

• 2 weeks later...