Why become a member? ×

Hipshot to C Sharp?

4 Strings

A low C-sharp for part of a song would be great, Hipshot would be brilliant, but can they extend more than the tone from E to D?

If anyone has one, would you mind trying it out for me, please?

(Also, are they accurate enough to snap down and up during a single song?)

Very grateful,

Greg

[quote name='4 Strings' post='740114' date='Feb 9 2010, 04:25 PM']A low C-sharp for part of a song would be great, Hipshot would be brilliant, but can they extend more than the tone from E to D?[/quote]
I've had over a fifth out of mine, just to see how low it could go, but that's on the low B of a 5-string. (Yep, it dropped it down to LOW E-flat.) You probably won't get quite that far on an E-string, but C-sharp's no problem.
[quote name='4 Strings' post='740114' date='Feb 9 2010, 04:25 PM'](Also, are they accurate enough to snap down and up during a single song?)[/quote]
Yes. That's kind of the whole point of fitting them! If you don't trust the accuracy, you'll just be re-checking the tuning after every flip up/down. Honestly, they're rock solid. I'll reiterate, though: LUBE YOUR NUT!

I've got a (proper as opposed to licensed) Hipshot on my Yamaha Attitude.
Not [i]particularly[/i] my cup of tea, as I'd rather de-tune the whole instrument by a tone to FCGD and play off the second fret for songs in E (and tweak the truss-rod / action for the lower string tension).

That said, if you set it up to be accurate, it will be accurate, and seems to stay that way. If they do drift off, only the members of the audience named Korg or Peterson will be able to tell!

Yes, lube your nut, especially if it's brass or another metal. Not so bad if it's graphlon or nylon. Try slackening the string and put a few coats of graphite in the nut slot to lubricate it- just use the tip of a pencil, they work a treat. Work the string to and fro in the slot to ensure it has a coating too.