Why become a member? ×

Speaker replacement for my Aguilar DB112

cLepto-bass

I am toying with the idea of changing the stock Aggie speaker to something else soon but before I ask for people opinions about what to go for, [b]how[/b] do I even do it??

I have never done anything like this so forgive my stupidity.

Now, I assume that the speaker is loaded in through the front beneath the rather fetching cloth grill but does anybody know how to take that off/out without any damage being done. The last thing I want is to break it! I dont know if there is a suggested or recommended way to do it or if you just shove a knife in and try and lever it out, that sounds a bit dangerous to me.

So anyway, if you can shed some light on the matter consider me eternally gratefull.

[quote name='uzzell' post='740061' date='Feb 9 2010, 03:37 PM']I am toying with the idea of changing the stock Aggie speaker to something else soon but before I ask for people opinions about what to go for, [b]how[/b] do I even do it??

I have never done anything like this so forgive my stupidity.

Now, I assume that the speaker is loaded in through the front beneath the rather fetching cloth grill but does anybody know how to take that off/out without any damage being done. The last thing I want is to break it! I dont know if there is a suggested or recommended way to do it or if you just shove a knife in and try and lever it out, that sounds a bit dangerous to me.

So anyway, if you can shed some light on the matter consider me eternally gratefull.[/quote]

what is the reason for the speaker upgrade, I thought these were awesome cabs.

Cloth grilles are normally fixed to a wooden frame and fixed to the front baffle with Velcro. Carefully levering with a flat screwdriver or something similar will normally remove it. Before replying, I waited for someone to answer who has actually done it, as I have no personal experience of this cab. However, someone will surely now come along and tell me how wrong I am.

I've had the driver out of an Aggie DB112 cab.

Unscrew the Aguilar badge then reinsert one of the screws leaving enough of the screwhead showing to get purchase on with a decent pair of pliers. Then pull the grill out (attached with heavy duty velcro), this method stops the implement used as a lever from deforming the edge of the cab. The drivers are as you say front mounted and easily removed.

However, unless you have a blown driver why would you replace one! Don't worry if you have an amp that seems to have a higher power rating it won't do any damage and if you only have one 8 ohm cab and you feel that a 4 ohm would get the full output then it really is a false economy as you'll not get a massive amount more out of a single 4 ohm cab... all of this is just guess work as I have no idea why you want to replace the driver! :)