Why become a member? ×

WANTED: LAPTOP FOR GIGS

civictiger

Hey guys

Does anybody have a reasonable spec Laptop that my band can use you Live Gigs, we really need one as everything we have tried concerning backing tracks (panning, using l and r channels, splitting the signal e.t.c) all has failed and we are in desperate need for having a laptop that e can use to run software from for our live gigs.

Everything on it will be wiped and will be used just for Live purpose only.

It doesnt need to be top spec, just be decent enough to handle a song with 3 tracks playing with no skips.. and must be reliable
It must have a charger battery, and is possible the charger lead, too

We will be much appreciated if anybody has an old one lying around collection dust.. I will be more than happy to pay £10 to cover postage cost and a bit of your time for looking.
If anybody does find an old one they have, then PM me with a picture of it and we can talk over PM's.. if you can send me a PM with the make/model too so it would be easy to check online the specs quickly enough.

I know its a lot to ask for, and we are not sure if we will get any replies, but we have spent a lot of money on mixers, D.I boxes and leads and we have been un successful so far because the click track and other audio spills onto the tracks we dont need it on.. and recently my friend shown me how he does it in his band so a laptop would go down nicely.

thanks a lot.. it is so much appreciated!

Edited by civictiger

[quote name='civictiger' post='739402' date='Feb 8 2010, 09:04 PM']Hey guys

Does anybody have a reasonable spec Laptop that my band can use you Live Gigs, we really need one as everything we have tried concerning backing tracks (panning, using l and r channels, splitting the signal e.t.c) all has failed and we are in desperate need for having a laptop that e can use to run software from for our live gigs.

Everything on it will be wiped and will be used just for Live purpose only.

It doesnt need to be top spec, just be decent enough to handle a song with 3 tracks playing with no skips.. and must be reliable
It must have a charger battery, and is possible the charger lead, too

We will be much appreciated if anybody has an old one lying around collection dust.. I will be more than happy to pay £10 to cover postage cost and a bit of your time for looking.
If anybody does find an old one they have, then PM me with a picture of it and we can talk over PM's.. if you can send me a PM with the make/model too so it would be easy to check online the specs quickly enough.

I know its a lot to ask for, and we are not sure if we will get any replies, but we have spent a lot of money on mixers, D.I boxes and leads and we have been un successful so far because the click track and other audio spills onto the tracks we dont need it on.. and recently my friend shown me how he does it in his band so a laptop would go down nicely.

thanks a lot.. it is so much appreciated![/quote]

I can't help with the laptop but, unless i'm missing somethiing here, can't you just use an mp3 player?

(i think i've seriously missed the point of what you're looking for, n i hope this doesn't distract from your request)

I have an old Apple Powerbook G4 that I am looking to sell. I'm after about £100 for it.

I think it's a G4 400. Probably 512mb ram at a guess. It fairly worn around the edges, but still works. Come with charge case etc.

PM me if you are interested, or want photos etc.

Im selling a 1 year old HP G60. 3 Gig ram, large HD, AMD Athlon x2 2Ghz processor. Fresh install of Vista. Great condition, a few minor scrapes on the edges. Still has the plastic on the lid.
I know you are looking for really cheap, but thought I'd point this your way anyway. Im after about £280 posted.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='740262' date='Feb 9 2010, 06:53 PM']I think the laptop is needed to split the click from the backing track. I'd be keen to understand how to do this too as it's something I'm interested in looking at. I think it can be done with two mixers as well, but I'd have to sit down and work it out with a pencil![/quote]

not as hard as you might think, I used to do it by splitting a stereo signal into two mono mixes and panning the click all the way left and the track all the way right. :)

[quote name='MythSte' post='742892' date='Feb 12 2010, 10:49 AM']not as hard as you might think, I used to do it by splitting a stereo signal into two mono mixes and panning the click all the way left and the track all the way right. :)[/quote]

hey guys, sorry for late reply been busy

yeahh, we've done this.
We used Reason to make the backing tracks, and then Cubase to make the click tracks

we pan the click + backing track right (for the drummer) and then the backing track left (to go through the P.A) but the thing is, the click track on the right, spills a tiny signal over to the left, which goes through the P.A

and since the P.A is at a loud volume, you can hear the spill really loud, too. Th spill sounds so crap too, like its isnt a copy of the sound on the right panned track, its all the little acoustic reverbs that spill onto the left track which sound really crap..

if anybody can let me know how to solve the spill entirely that would be great, because we have tried so many different things!

[quote name='civictiger' post='742900' date='Feb 12 2010, 10:59 AM']hey guys, sorry for late reply been busy

yeahh, we've done this.
We used Reason to make the backing tracks, and then Cubase to make the click tracks

we pan the click + backing track right (for the drummer) and then the backing track left (to go through the P.A) but the thing is, the click track on the right, spills a tiny signal over to the left, which goes through the P.A

and since the P.A is at a loud volume, you can hear the spill really loud, too. Th spill sounds so crap too, like its isnt a copy of the sound on the right panned track, its all the little acoustic reverbs that spill onto the left track which sound really crap..

if anybody can let me know how to solve the spill entirely that would be great, because we have tried so many different things![/quote]

You need to mix it in dual mono. Sounds like you have stereo reverbs on the track which are going to both sides. Try using mono reverbs and make sure they're all panned to the left.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='744840' date='Feb 14 2010, 02:52 PM']You need to mix it in dual mono. Sounds like you have stereo reverbs on the track which are going to both sides. Try using mono reverbs and make sure they're all panned to the left.[/quote]

What he said :)