Why become a member? ×

2x10 and a 4x8, whaddya think?

Marky L

So, I need to replace my Ashdown mini 15 and I have the urge to get a 2x10. It of course needs to be lightweight as I too am one of the many in the knackered back brigade.

What I am wondering is how it would stack up with my Ashdown mini 4x8? I guess if I go down this route (finances suggest just one cab at the mo) then I would aim for the Ashdown Neo. I think my long term option is to get two of these. Giving me the flexability of one unit for rehersals and both for gigs.

I have been reasonably happy with the 1x15 & 4x8 combination, typical rock style pub gigs, except I have always felt I don't quite get the projection of sound out front.

So as an interim option, what do you think, 2x10 and 4x8 together?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='739114' date='Feb 8 2010, 04:55 PM']Gonna be 'that guy' and say, try the 2x10 alone and the 4x8 alone, get two of whatever you like best.[/quote]

Well, I'd dump the 4x8 to get 2 2x10s in the long run TBH.

Just wondering if the 8 and 10 had been done by anyone.

it would depend on the design of the cabs but I would expect for average designed boxes that you'd get tight growly mids and the bass would be a bit flabby and boomy unless you had an accurate enough eq to dial out anything below 40-60Hz.

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='739569' date='Feb 8 2010, 11:27 PM']it would depend on the design of the cabs but I would expect for average designed boxes that you'd get tight growly mids and the bass would be a bit flabby and boomy unless you had an accurate enough eq to dial out anything below 40-60Hz.[/quote]

Tight growly mids sounds nice :) Bottom end bit should be managable, I think.

[quote name='Marky L' post='739104' date='Feb 8 2010, 11:49 AM']So, I need to replace my Ashdown mini 15 and I have the urge to get a 2x10. It of course needs to be lightweight as I too am one of the many in the knackered back brigade.

What I am wondering is how it would stack up with my Ashdown mini 4x8? I guess if I go down this route (finances suggest just one cab at the mo) then I would aim for the Ashdown Neo. I think my long term option is to get two of these. Giving me the flexability of one unit for rehersals and both for gigs.

I have been reasonably happy with the 1x15 & 4x8 combination, typical rock style pub gigs, except I have always felt I don't quite get the projection of sound out front.

So as an interim option, what do you think, 2x10 and 4x8 together?[/quote]

A somewhat lengthy read, but quite informative:

To Mix Or Not To Mix-That Is The Question: [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595143"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595143[/url]

[quote name='Marky L' post='739104' date='Feb 8 2010, 04:49 PM']I have been reasonably happy with the 1x15 & 4x8 combination, typical rock style pub gigs, except I have always felt I don't quite get the projection of sound out front.
So as an interim option, what do you think, 2x10 and 4x8 together?[/quote]
As long as the 2 x 10 extends as low as your 15, I can't see that there is any difference in theory between a 15" with a 4 x 8" and a 2 x 10" with a 4 x 8". The Mini 15 doesn't go hugely low in the bass anyway.

[quote name='stevie' post='740698' date='Feb 10 2010, 10:14 AM']As long as the 2 x 10 extends as low as your 15, I can't see that there is any difference in theory between a 15" with a 4 x 8" and a 2 x 10" with a 4 x 8". The Mini 15 doesn't go hugely low in the bass anyway.[/quote]

S'what I'm thinking :)