Why become a member? ×

5 stringer for (very) roughly £500

ThomBassmonkey

I'm thinking of getting something new for a bit of a change from my Ibanez BTB406 and a Brice 6 string (which is very similar to the Ibby) that I've have for the last 6ish years and I thought that a nice 5 string would be something new and maybe inspire some new ideas.

I want to move away from the classic Ibanez neck style (so I'm thinking shallow and round instead of wide and flat) so I've been thinking maybe Warwicks (which I've wanted for a long time) or MM. Probably the respective budget ranges unless a nice 2nd hand deal calls out to me. I've even (god help me because I hate how they look) thought about a Fender J as a possibility.

Generally I like a very warm jazzy tone but at the same time with a fair bit of punch, it'll be ran through a GK 700RB II and a 210RBH so ideally something that compliments them.

At the moment I'm just thinking about it, I want to get some ideas because there's no dealers for Warwick around the Nottingham area and no music shops stock MMs (though if I played one and loved it, I'm sure I could get a very nice deal at the music shop I work at which can get them in, just doesn't carry stock). So ideally if I'm going to travel away, I'd want to check out as many alternatives as poss.

I've put up £500 as a rough guide, I've only recently started thinking about it so it's nowhere near concrete. I don't have thousands to spend though so new Warwicks and MMs (which I'd love) are out of the question.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Thom

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

i think you would be looking more at warwick rockbass' or the MIM jazz 5 strings for that sort of money, i doubt you could really get a good 5string warwick (unless a 2nd hand, std corvette), fender or musicman for £500.

i know what want though as i was in the same boat a while back but managed to save up for a MMSR5 (ironically reselling on here) and it does pack a punch and warm to bright jazz sounds too but also very versatile too on the active EQ.
luckily you had a BTB series ibanez which was 100 times better than my Gio 5 and my SRX355 but i too got bored of ibanez and havent thought of ever going back yet!!

all the best with finding your next bass :)

I know £500 isn't really enough for some of the things I mentioned, but like I said, it's just a very rough idea as I've only just started thinking about it really. Probably £6-800 is more likely for a budget.

Though I am very tempted by a 5 string Rockbass, they look amazing value for the money.

What's the kind of minimum price a Warwick 5 Corvette could be had for usually? I have to be honest, that's the bass I've been drooling over for years. I've just never really liked the neck style, but after playing Ibanez for so long I think it'd be a great change.

I wouldn't especially say I'm bored of Ibanez, I've just been playing the same bass (the BTB) through the same rig (Carlsbro Bassline 150) for years and years, by the end of the week I'll have a new amp (already have the 700RB II, ordering the 210RBH tomorrow), so I just thought a new bass for a bit of inspiration in feel as well as sound would make a nice change too. :)

Consider a Lakland 5502 (or 01 if you can't gather the funds). Second hand you should be able to get one for £700-750 and they are fantastic 5 strings. Jazz pup at the neck and a MM style at the bridge but you can select either of the coils independantly for jazzier tones.

Edited by d-basser

You should be able to get a s/h Warwick Corvette Standard Ash for around what you have.

Here's a brand new one for only £650!

[url="http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View_PLU&PLU=8461&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=Feed&utm_campaign=PriceComparison"]http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?submit=View...PriceComparison[/url]

Also have you thought about a s/h Sandberg Basic 5? Should be within your reach.

Edited by rjb

G&L L2500 Tribute. Nuff said.
Probably the most versatile bass on the planet. I can't see me ever parting with mine.
Blueburst with maple fingerboard it's the mutts nuts.
But for gods sake go and play some. one mans meat as they say.

Edited by BassBunny

I intend to play some before I buy, I just want suggestions so that I know where to go because none of the basses I'm looking at have stockists in the area. There's no point going 50mi in one direction, then 50mi in the other when I could just go 60 in one. :)

That Corvette is a nice find! My preference is swaying towards the $$ though, not sure about Streamer or Corvette, I'll need to play them to get a good idea but with that amount of pickup settings, there must be a lot of available tones. They're both around for under a grand new though so there must be some deals to be had if I keep my eyes open within my budget.

Like I said though, this is all just the kind of first look for 5 strings. I've been so happy with my Ibanez for so long that I've fallen out of touch with what's out there and even back then I had a much better idea of what I wanted so I went straight after the Ibanezes.

I'll make sure to check out the G&L and Laklands too. I'll have a look around on the net tomorrow.

[quote name='4-string-thing' post='739518' date='Feb 8 2010, 10:47 PM']Rattle and Drum in Derby are a Warwick dealer. Bought my corvette from them last year, and although I could have bought it cheaper online, I felt it was worth the extra for the personal service and the opportunity to try as many basses as I liked for as long as I liked.[/quote]

You leg end!

I'll be off there to check them out at some point. Cheers mate.

After looking around, I think I'm swaying towards a Warwick $$ (Streamer/Corvette still depends on what's available and which I prefer when I get a go on them but the amount of variation in tones on them looks awesome). They just look awesome and I've loved them for ages, not to mention a lot of my heroes play similar basses.

After looking around though, a few sites have said that there's some problems with definition in the low string, does anyone know anything about this either way? Thanks again. :)

Though I do still love the look of the bongos, so it's still very much an open book.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='739532' date='Feb 8 2010, 10:55 PM']Your revised figure of £6-800 will get you almost any used Stingray you want. The Stingray 5's are among the best mass produced 5-stringers around, having an almost unlimited tonal range from Status-like hifi to single coil P-alike grunt. Why did I sell mine?! :)[/quote]

I totally agree, especially with the S/H or H/H config' .... LOTSA BASS!! but even with just the single humm bucker, they're legendary beasts that have a tone of thier own that will fit any musical style what-so-ever and considering 'mass produced' they feel unique and a better sence of sentimental value. totally worth their weigh in gold.

Shame i'm selling mine but its for pastures new in this bass world =]

£950 shipped or £800 collected or meet halfway

[quote name='bigsmokebass' post='741638' date='Feb 11 2010, 12:22 AM']i dont think bongos are in your price range unless EXTREMELY lucky =/[/quote]

I have seen one or two around that price.

I'm still far more interested in the Warwicks though. Gonna head over to a music shop in thr next few days to try some out and see if I can narrow it down any. :) They stock MMs too so I'll give a ray a go.

Don't get me wrong, you see one going cheap and you like it, go for it! :)
I haven't seen many go and when they have, hasn't been cheap.

What shop be that? Sounds ace, ones near me are complete sh*t and nasty or sh*t service *cough* Dawsons *cough*.

I do like Warwicks, they too pack a punch and versatile also but would personally save up and buy one new, even if they do go over £3k =]

[quote name='bigsmokebass' post='742724' date='Feb 12 2010, 01:22 AM']Don't get me wrong, you see one going cheap and you like it, go for it! :rolleyes:
I haven't seen many go and when they have, hasn't been cheap.

What shop be that? Sounds ace, ones near me are complete sh*t and nasty or sh*t service *cough* Dawsons *cough*.

I do like Warwicks, they too pack a punch and versatile also but would personally save up and buy one new, even if they do go over £3k =][/quote]

Rattle and Drum in Derby.

I'm kind of swaying towards Sterlings now. I really need to just sit down and play them, but I've found out the music shop I do a bit of teaching at can get in MMs, so I can get a new Ray 35 for a bargain.

R&D don't have any of the 5 strings in that I'm looking at but they have all the 4 strings so I'm hoping I'll get a good enough idea of the neck and tone from that. Should be heading over tomorrow to have a go then I'll know what I want hopefully. :)

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='742737' date='Feb 12 2010, 01:57 AM']Rattle and Drum in Derby.

I'm kind of swaying towards Sterlings now. I really need to just sit down and play them, but I've found out the music shop I do a bit of teaching at can get in MMs, so I can get a new Ray 35 for a bargain.

R&D don't have any of the 5 strings in that I'm looking at but they have all the 4 strings so I'm hoping I'll get a good enough idea of the neck and tone from that. Should be heading over tomorrow to have a go then I'll know what I want hopefully. :)[/quote]
I have had them all stingray 5's , us jazz deluxe 5's, best value for money is a cort gb75 the best of both worlds and block inlays with edge binding ,seriously check them out, I may be selling my white ash one for £375 if you want any more information get in touch, but don't get a warwick, I had a corvette ltd edition cost about £1300 ,well disappointed.

OK, after playing a Rockbass Streamer 4 string and a Musicman StingRay 5 string (not the Sterling) I found they both fell nicely into my hand.

The problem was that the Ray had a very old set of strings on so I couldn't get a real idea of the tone, that and I was trying them on a Pro Fet so the sound test was very much biased in favour of the Warwick, which hands down thrashed the Ray which almost had the punch I'm after using the single coil setting. But saying that, I know that they're usually punchy basses and it was still very clear even down to the low B.

Does anyone know of any soundclips of the Sterling by MM ray 35 through a Gallien RB?

I think I'm still edging towards the Ray purely because of the finances (I can get one for only a tad more than the high end Rockbasses) and if there's a problem with it, I work at the shop I'd be buying from, so there would be no problems. The clips people have posted on youtube playing the ray 35 sound great and punchy so I feel relatively confident that the sound would be great for me.