Why become a member? ×

Classic Vibe Jazz any good?

Cygnus x-1

Well let me add my piece... I was longing for a tele style p-bass, the old '51 model with the small single coil pickup and I have heard so much about these CV Chinese Squiers that I took the trouble to go down to Denmark Street and try one. My intention was to just try it and compare it with a real Fender 51 style, and I was lucky to find both a Sting model and that Squier one.

What impressed me the most was the faithful sound reproduction of the Squier compared to the real thing. The bass sounded so mellow I couldn't help falling in love with it, the neck is a joy to play too, perfectly fitted to the body, and the frets are the smaller vintage type but work very well with this particular bass. I like a good chunky 4 stringer and this fitted the bill. What I was unable to do is justify spending the extra money on the Fender made in Japan Sting model hence after a bit of careful decision making time I settled for this lovely Squier

to which I since fitted a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pound and I have never looked back.

Having said that, and after having read the good review of Mr. OutToPlayJazz I am now in the market for a Squier CV, which will soon compliment my collection. I am kicking myself because back in the 80's I had a JV Japanese Jazz and sold it in a moment of madness, and I wish I had kept it.