Why become a member? ×

Spector NS5XL - Traded pending usual stuff :)

molan

Ok, so I realise this is a bit of a long shot but I've pretty much reverted to 4 strings only and this beautiful example of Mr Spector's work isn't getting any attention :)

I'm ideally looking for a 4 string equivalent Spector NS4 unless someone can really tempt me with a high end 4 string trade deal. Happy to sell at £1,750 if anyone wants to buy it outright. May consider trades for something of lower value that would be realtively easy to sell on like US Fender of Lakland Skyline.

This is a USA made hand built Spector and, IMHO, far superior to any of Stuart Spector's other models. I've owned a Euro & I think the build quality and finish of these is significantly better and I'd definitely pay the extra for a US model - in fact I have, no less than three times as I've owned three different NS5XL's!

Again, from a purely personal POV this is the best of the three I've owned for lots of subtle reasons but principally because of the sheer playability and core sound.

For those of you who don't know much about them:

Neck-Thru construction, 35" scale, Solid AAAA Maple body (walnut stained), twin EMG-40DC pickups & 18v active electronics (which I've always left completely flat because I love the straight core tone!)

Graphite Reinforced 3pc Rock Maple Satin Finish Neck, 24 Fret Pau Ferro Fingerboard, gorgeous abalone Spector inlays

Gold Hardware, including Spector Solid Brass Locking Bridge, Schaller Tuners and Straplocks

Serial # is 109 & it was made in Dec '03 - it's in absolutely immaculate condition, slight deterioration of the rubber around the input jack but that's about it as far as blemishes are concerned!

Action is super low & she plays like a dream. Fastest playing 5 I've owned and a real confidence builder - just seems to let me play stuff I can't manage on other basses.

I'm in no hurry to sell this and would love to trade for a nice NS4 (I don't really like the NS2 pickup configuration or the bolt on US models) - in fact Alan's one for sale here would be just perfect :rolleyes:

These list at over £3K new - in fact Bass Direct currently have a blue one up for £4K (it's a custom colour though so would cost more than my walnut stain)

Any questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Edited by molan

Is that the one that was secondhand at the bass gallery a year or two ago? Looks extremely similar.

I went back a couple of times just to try the one they had. It was a total peach of a bass, the best I've ever laid my hands on. I would dearly have loved it but I just couldn't get the cash together at the time. They look great and feel amazing (should do at that price I guess!).

Awesome bass.

[quote name='Golchen' post='732559' date='Feb 2 2010, 09:14 AM']Is that the one that was secondhand at the bass gallery a year or two ago? Looks extremely similar.

I went back a couple of times just to try the one they had. It was a total peach of a bass, the best I've ever laid my hands on. I would dearly have loved it but I just couldn't get the cash together at the time. They look great and feel amazing (should do at that price I guess!).

Awesome bass.[/quote]

Yep - it's the same one!

I've owned three different NS5's and played another couple and this is definitely my favourite. Hard to explain exactly why but it just has the edge over the others on feel and playability.

[quote name='gilmour' post='732463' date='Feb 2 2010, 01:17 AM']I have a Stuart Spector Designs NS94[/quote]

If you get a chance to try one of the American ones then you should jump at it :)

There's quite a big gulf between the far eastern basses and the the Euro models and then the US ones take everything up another notch :rolleyes:

Quick update on trade options :)

Definitely not looking for any Spectors other than an NS4.

Will think about a high end 4 string or possibly a 4 that's easy to trade on like a stock Fender J or P or a Lakland Skyline etc.

Also - and this may be far too complicated to work but I'll throw it out anyway - I know that Alan is interested in "an early 70's/late 60's Fender, or maybe a Wal" and his NS4 would suit me perfectly. If anyone fancies an NS5XL in exchange for something that I could maybe then trade to Alan I'd be interestd in trying to set something up, lol.

Ok - I've had a couple of requests to give a straight sale price so I thought I'd put up a valuation on it :)

I'm 'in' this bass for around £1,800 so that's my target price (and also the equivalent value I'd be looking for a trade deal).