Why become a member? ×

First time bi-amped- sort of

thumperbob 2002

I usually use two rigs for different gigs- one a Markbass LMK into a schroeder 1212L and for bigger gigs use a Marshall VBA 400 valve amp into a Schroeder 1212L and a 1515L ( this amp does down to 2 ohms unlike the Markbass.

Used the Marshall last night with both cabs in a large hotel for a function and the room being totally dead and rather large I wasnt happy with my sound too much- fine close up but the room just sucked out the volume- using a 4k rig too- fine out front. I was up to 2/3 on the master and 2/3 on the input which is a bit more than usual. I play in a 7 piece soul band with a loud drummer, guiter , brass, keys- you name it.

Tonight for a bit of an experiment I used the Markbass powering the 1212L and sent my out signal to the Marshall into the 1515L.

Unbelievable tone- I could set exactly what I wanted for the fairly modern clarity of the Markbass and the old school vibe of the Marsahll rig. Really , really powerful with loeds of headroom. Totally filled the room. Lots of comments from non-musos who actually noticed the bass player. Was thinking of selling the Markbass but as usual dont know what I want- was thinking of buying another Markbass amp to power the 1515L- but I really liked my sound- fairly transparent but with that warmth that S/state never really gives.

Does anyone else do this??

Bob

[quote name='chris_b' post='730248' date='Jan 31 2010, 01:38 AM']How did you daisy chain the amps? Did you "send" from the MB to the "return" on the Marshall?[/quote]

Out from the Markbass- from the effect send- into the input on the Marshall. Could have sent it simply from the line out or tuner out too.

It just seemed as though it was clearer and certainly more punchy and louder. Not that the Marshall was lacking though. I think the Markbass is less bassy than the Marshall and more transparent- so that is probably the reason.

Bob

I heard of a guy in London who had a GK RB head into a 4x10+horn for the clarity and a Mesa Boogie 400+ into a 2x15" for the low end and warmth. Apparently sounded monstrous. I've had a much more satisfying sound from two 2x12 cabs rather than one. Just feels like the whole rig isn't trying as hard and the sound is fuller and cleaner. I try and keep the number of total drivers I'm listening to, at a minimum though because I've found it muddies the attack.

[quote name='0175westwood29' post='730385' date='Jan 31 2010, 10:59 AM']what have you got on the go there!?[/quote]

Mostly JoeGarcia's stuff, Traynor YBA200-2, Ashdown ABM 8x10, Sunn 1200s and an Aguilar GS412. Think I'd cut my pedals right down at this point to a bad Monkey is an LS2 to dirty up the valve side, and a Bassballs and Octave multiplexer for horrible noise glitching.