Why become a member? ×

New Tokai bass guitars

theplumber

Just had a look on e bay,a few brand new Tokai jazz bass and precision bass guitars are up for sale......being a big fan of the original 80,s Fender clones,I wondered if anyone has tried these new made in china versions. I have an early 80,s jazz bass and it is brill!

I found the new thunderbird very disappointing. Poorly finshed with overspray and blemishes, and the pickups had no punch or top at all. Worst of all was the substandard fret job. Some were visibly higher than others causing all sorts of issues. It went straight back!

[quote name='gafbass02' post='729175' date='Jan 29 2010, 08:36 PM']I found the new thunderbird very disappointing. Poorly finshed with overspray and blemishes, and the pickups had no punch or top at all. Worst of all was the substandard fret job. Some were visibly higher than others causing all sorts of issues. It went straight back![/quote]

That's disappointing and yet strangely unsurprising too. They look good in the photos but I'd managed to resist the temptation

[quote name='gafbass02' post='729175' date='Jan 29 2010, 08:36 PM']I found the new thunderbird very disappointing. Poorly finshed with overspray and blemishes, and the pickups had no punch or top at all. Worst of all was the substandard fret job. Some were visibly higher than others causing all sorts of issues. It went straight back![/quote]

Perfect copies then! :)
I´ve heard of Gibson Thunderbirds with similar flaws.
The Tokai one I tried (it was a silver colour) sounded great. nicer feel than the Epiphone one.