Why become a member? ×

1969 EB3/SG Bass + Warwick Flightcase

Schnozzalee

[attachment=44529:EB3.jpg]

Didn't want to give this one up, fantastic bass to have in the arsenal...especially if your a 60s/70s vintage rock guy. Been trying out some Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young out on it recently and its sheer gold :rolleyes: .

This is mine but please email [email protected] for detailed photos.

[attachment=41668:299952070.jpg]

Heres some more:

[url="http://cardiff.gumtree.com/cardiff/97/53335897.html"]http://cardiff.gumtree.com/cardiff/97/53335897.html[/url]

1969 Walter A. Hoyer (3rd Generation) EB3 custom build with Gibson 001 EQ (All original). Dark vintage cherry finish with creme binding and chrome and black hardware (chicken head switch). Gibson style, black and mother of pearl headstock. Black pickguard. Each Hoyer is unique, but from the harmony central reviews all were brilliantly made. German Master Luthier's since 1874 till 1970 when the company left the families hands, renowned for making guitars/basses for both George Harrison and Stanley Clarke. Hoyer guitars are a collectors item as they're very rare, however perfect vintage basses, a Gibson without the brand name which makes everyone want to steal it! Also you can cry a little less if you knock it - built like a tank.

Fantastic condition, minor scratch and nicks 1/4 of a fingernail in size in laquer only not in wood. Mainly situated on bottom two bouts and buckle area. It looks more 10 years old as opposed to 40, if your a fan of the relic'd look you'll have to do it yourself! :) Missing the pickup ashtrays however, but has the Hoyer engraved pickup covers which act as a great ramp, also has thumb rest.

It is a short scale but feels bigger, and I'm a strict 34" 24 fret kinda guy. Easy to reach all frets and extremely fast while soloing etc, very Jack Bruce. 21 Fret bound rosewood fingerboard on a 30.5 inch scale with ebony nut, fully setup with low action and no fretbuzz. The frets have plenty of life left in them. The body construct is mahogany set neck like the Gibsons BUT i think from the looks of the grain the neck is maple, which is a flawless feature cracking profile, more jazz than P and a lot nicer than the Gibson EB-O that I tried. The bridge is really sturdy, looks like something of Schaller origin. Machine heads work perfectly.

Versatile yet aggressive Two Humbucker Pickup Configuration with Six Way pickup selector imitating: EB3, Precision, Rickenbacker, EBO/Tele, Hofner bass tones. Also have an extremely woofy setting best used for disco basslines which makes the floor vibrate. There is a mute option too which reminds me of the Kubicki six way switch, however this is entirely passive. Can even slap it, first bass I've been able to double thump (on Precision setting).

Heres a couple of videos (neither are me), not the best, but can give you an idea of the tones it can make:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzxcTwWCSI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCzxcTwWCSI[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZx2a4_qUBE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZx2a4_qUBE[/url]

SOUNDCLIPS:

Poor quality sound clips will be continually added until sale using my Olympus dictaphone lol. All recording will be created from a Genz Benz 750 set to flat on the clean channel and involve changes solely from the Hoyer's gibson electronic circuit. No pedals included.

Hopefully it will give you an impression of the aggressive thump and growl of the bass. Vintage vibrations!

Apologies for poor playing and random inaccurate licks.

[attachment=48792:VN780041.WMA]

[attachment=48793:VN780039.WMA]

[attachment=48794:VN780035.WMA]

[attachment=48795:VN780044.WMA]

Edited by Schnozzalee

What a hugely cool old bass!

It's a damn shame Hoyer aren't better known; if this was released as a Warwick "Jack Bruce" signature special you could add another grand to that price and it wouldn't be as good.

Have a skint bump! :)

Gotta love the Jack Bruce sound :). I played White Room when I first got this. Played the run up from the open E and I just couldn't stop smirking, something about the growl from the older basses you can't get anymore. I love finding vintage custom stuff but obviously its quite easy to find something which is made of plywood and a lil bit pants but British and German stuff is wonderful from my experience. I love the character too obviously.

Email me at [email protected] to recieve quality photos, basschat won't let me upload them again for some reason.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='theosd' post='784154' date='Mar 23 2010, 11:16 PM']I really seriously would do that trade were it not for it's scale, it's a groovy looking thing! Makes me wanna pick it up and play Free tracks all day...[/quote]

It sure has a woofly tone if thats your thing, I was enjoying using a pick on the rickenbacker setting but now I'm using the EB3/P bass setting for fingerstyle, has more punch and less growl and clank. I need to find some way of getting audio samples up and some better photos BC will let me upload and it'll be away.

I don't blame your temptation! Its not often a 60's bass turns up so cheap unless it has a warped neck/poor action or been modified, into Rickenfaker territory now. It's got some sturdy timbers and some very distinct vintage tones, just lovely now it has TI flats. Completely giggable, but has the antique look. The neck is fantastic. If you'd like some detailed photos your very welcome - just PM me your email address.

The scale isn't really much of a problem. I'm 6ft and I wear the bass a little higher than usual and tighten my strap, it sits pretty much on my belly so I have full access to the 21st fret I use so much!! You'd have to have pretty massive hands, like paddles not to find your way around, it feels nowhere near as small as a guitar. The neck is amazingly fast, especially helpful for solos where sliding/bendings involved. Been checking out some of the Free Videos recently on youtube, I've clearly been missing out, only listened to Bad Company!!

very suprised this is still here an original for that price
is mental you'll regret selling for that, stick it on ebay
with a reserve better than losing that amount of cash
i'm all set bass wise or i'd swap the strat you were after

have a bump for crazy price :) :rolleyes:

[quote name='theosd' post='787800' date='Mar 27 2010, 12:57 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDHNZuAnBoU&feature=related"]I love Andy Fraser.[/url][/quote]

Haha I love the way he keeps his timing bobbing from side to side, I can't really talk - I open and shut my mouth like a goldfish... I wonder if that hat n flares would work for me??

• 3 weeks later...

It switches from bridge humbucker to neck humbucker to both to single coil neck and single coil bridge as well as mute. The pickup spacing is huge so theres quite a range my local guitar tech loved it, when he was checking it out - he owns a lot of Hoyer gear. Fantastic intonation and ultimately comfortable, no finger stretching here. He showed me some more tone settings fiddling about with the rotaries - gimme a week and might find some more.

I've just found Jaco's honky Jazz tone fiddling about with the volume and tone controls when switched to the the bridge position. Consider it withdrawn, its a keeper. 1st one!! Also Hoyer's new line is coming out soon so value might go up, I intend to buy a new model - I suggest you do too.

[quote name='umph' post='824706' date='May 1 2010, 11:49 AM']bah i want this totally can't afford it at the minute though unless your intrested in obtaining some amps? ;o[/quote]

Guitar amps would tempt me a lil I guess but I'm completely sorted for Bass amps with my new Genz Benz :)