Why become a member? ×

Steve Harris is leaving Trace Elliot...

I was in a guitar shop today that stocks Ashdown bass amps and the Ashdown rep came in and started chatting to the store owner about the new Ashdown Valve Bass Amps and new Neo Speakered cabinets soon to be released (8x10 and a 6x10)

He then progressed to talk about Shavo (System of a Down) getting the new amp and the fact that he'd be going to Shavo's wedding next month... but the next bit is what caught my ear mainly...

"You know Steve Harris from Iron Maiden? He phoned us last week asking us to custom build him a new Pre-Amp and Power-Amp for his rig as he's changing over from the Trace Elliot's he's been using for all these years. Also, it seems like his old Power Amps have packed up"

So being the rather huge Steve Harris fan I am, I swanned over and kinda butted in on the conversation and asked him about it. He said he doesn't know which models it will be yet but they should be ready in time for the next tour (Sonisphere etc).

Does this mean Maiden are going to be doing even more tours after the tour to support the new album next year? I do hope so. Maiden can't just pack up after the new album tour like they say they are going to. It'd be a shame to lose such a big band like that.

Anyways... DISCUSS!

I've had a Series 6 Trace Head for years now. I have plugged into a couple of Ashdown amps and they are fantastic. If I was to change amps it would be for an Ashdown, not sure which one as I'm not ready yet. My trusty Trace is still going strong.

It seems loads of pro players are using Ashdown as you only have to watch some band on tv and there in the background is that distinctive cool black & blue rig. The word on the street is that the new Trace stuff is not as good as the good old green heydays of the eighties.

Can't really comment on Steve Harris as I'm not a big Maiden fan. I'm sure he will like whatever rig he ends up with.

[quote name='mep' post='728153' date='Jan 28 2010, 09:50 PM']I've had a Series 6 Trace Head for years now. I have plugged into a couple of Ashdown amps and they are fantastic. If I was to change amps it would be for an Ashdown, not sure which one as I'm not ready yet. My trusty Trace is still going strong.

It seems loads of pro players are using Ashdown as you only have to watch some band on tv and there in the background is that distinctive cool black & blue rig. The word on the street is that the new Trace stuff is not as good as the good old green heydays of the eighties.

Can't really comment on Steve Harris as I'm not a big Maiden fan. I'm sure he will like whatever rig he ends up with.[/quote]

I had both a Series 6 Trace and an Ashdown ABM I couldn't get on with either, I use an SVT now but it's horses for courses.

I'm currently using a Series 6 Trace Head from 1989, fantastic head. sounds absolutely amazing. I'm in total agreeance that if I was to change, it would be to Ashdown. I was looking at a few Ashdown's the other day such as the ABM 500 RC EVO III Head, absultely gorgeous piece of kit.
James LoMenzo of Megadeth (and ex-Ozzy and ex-BLS) has used Ashdown for years and his bass tone is absolutely amazing. Such a pounding but clear sound.

Don't think i'll be upgrading my head until the start of 2011 anyways. Gotta finish paying for a new bass and driving test. Ironically, the new bass is the Fender Steve Harris P Bass hehe.

But yeah, Ashdown does seem to be the way to go. Trace seem to have gone down hill since Gibson or Peavey brought them out which is a bloody shame as the old Trace stuff is incredible

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...