Why become a member? ×

Ebay payment query

Robin UK

The whole point of paypal should be to ease transactions over the net between buyers and sellers who don't have access to merchant credit card services. Their massive turnover should allow them to absorb the kind of fraud they're supposedly responding too in this situation. That's what their business model should be (and has been) based on - ease of use leading to higher and higher turnover.

This just smacks of greed. Paypal's just holding money and scoring interest on it.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='727569' date='Jan 28 2010, 01:38 PM']Should I ever list anything on ebay, I shall be noting this stuff in my listing, such as I will not post until funds have cleared into my bank account etc.[/quote]

Unfortunately 'IF' you use eBay you can't do the things that you've suggested!

If you list on eBay then you agree to abide by eBay's T&C, hence you've got to offer PayPal as an option in which case a buyer can elect to use PayPal and you are thereby caught up in this whole scenario outlined in this thread!

You can't even go down the route of simply offering cash on collection; that is eBay's pet hate and they'll pull your listing sharpish if they spot it.

<edit>

Oh and don't leave the feedback just yet... you are in the enviable position of being in the (buyers) driving seat and like it or not eBay/PayPal is on your side for now. :)

Edited by warwickhunt

[quote name='johnzgerman' post='727618' date='Jan 28 2010, 02:16 PM']so now they keep several million payments on hold for 3 weeks or until positive feedback is left and make a quite a few extra squid for themselves in interest payments, sweet.[/quote]

Absol***INGlutely bang spot on. At least Dick Turpin had the decency to wear a mask!

It really is time the Monopolies Commission took a look at these.

I got screwed for £70 fees last year on a £45O sale.

Grrrrr.

I had a similar experience last september. I bought some tickets for the Muse gig in Teignmouth. I met the guy and paid him cash for them. He then asked if I could leave positive feedback by logging on his pc righ then. I duly obliged, but it seemed odd. He said it was to do with PayPal.

Great gig though!!!