Why become a member? ×

CIJ Satin Walnut Jazz

Starless

I was wondering if any Fender Japan gurus out there could shed some light on this one. It is a 62 re-issue Jazz in a walnut satin finish. I have seen plenty of examples of 'JB-62 WAL' models, but these seem to be very shiny. This one, according to the paperwork is a 'JB62-73 MWN' - I'm guessing the MWN stands for 'Matt WalNut', but that could be a load of bahookey.

I have seen Squier Jazzes in satin walnut, but that is only the body. This one is satin walnut body, headstock, and back of neck and headstock, in fact, you would be hard pressed to find a more walnutty non-shiny bass than this one. It looks like it has been dipped in chocolate.

The trimmings aren't quite all black either. The pickguard and control plate are black, but the bridge, saddles, strap buttons (including the 3rd button on the back of the headstock) and the neck screw plate are all a kind of swirly greeny kind of gunmetally sort of finish. The tuners - I can't decide...somewhere between black and swirly greeny kind of gunmetally sort of finish. Difficult to tell in different lighting conditions.

When I got this last year (used) it came with the hanging tags etc, one of which declares it is a Fender Japan 'Craft Shop' bass.

So anyone know what this one is all about? I have been trying to find other examples online, but haven't turned anything up as yet and am intrigued as to what/where/why this one is all about. Fender Japan are still manufacturing the walnut finishes, but they are shiny (and bloody expensive!)

It plays identically to my bog standard CIJ 62 3TS (although the satin neck is a bit of a treat compared to the normal shiny one). One thing it doesn't have is the external earth strip from bridge to pickup, and the saddles are smooth single groove jobs as opposed to the spiral saddles on the standard re-issue.

Here's some pics:

[attachment=40911:wn_01.jpg] [attachment=40912:wn_02.jpg] [attachment=40913:wn_03.jpg] [attachment=40914:wn_04.jpg] [attachment=40915:wn_05.jpg] [attachment=40916:wn_06.jpg] [attachment=40917:wn_07.jpg] [attachment=40918:wn_08.jpg] [attachment=40919:wn_09.jpg]

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='723075' date='Jan 24 2010, 01:27 PM'][url="http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2008fender/jazzbass.htm"]This site[/url] has it listed as a 'J-Craft' type (JB62-WAL). Not cheap either![/quote]

That's the thing though, the 'WAL' is a poly/nitro (whatever a highly polished finish is). The tags on my one specifically identify it as a 'JB62-73 MWN' - not shiny, just matt/satin finish.

Struggling to find reference to it anywhere.

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='723073' date='Jan 24 2010, 01:23 PM']What a gorgeous bass, one of the nicest Jazzes i've seen.

Drop me a pm if you decide to sell it![/quote]

I may just do that.. Unfortunately I have no idea where to price it as there seems to be no other examples of this bass kicking around anywhere.

[quote name='karlthebassist' post='726780' date='Jan 27 2010, 08:00 PM']So is it a satin laqure finish or a oil/waxy jobby? looks really really nice. the walnut i use doesn't come up nearly that dark! I love things like that. like the all rosewood stingray that was on the eb site! mmm...[/quote]

It's a satin finish (lacquer or whatever - I'm no expert). No oil or wax involved., if you are familiar with the Rickenbacker C64S (the one that attempted to replicate McCartney's sanded Ric) - it's the same texture.

I presume they take the wood, stain it and then cover it in 'non-shiny see-through stuff' (technical term) as opposed to the usual 'shiny see-through stuff' (other technical term). Sorry, blinding you all with science here.

Edited by Starless

[quote name='Starless' post='726754' date='Jan 27 2010, 07:43 PM']I may just do that.. Unfortunately I have no idea where to price it as there seems to be no other examples of this bass kicking around anywhere.[/quote]

£700-£800 new plus import duty, etc.

There was a 2nd hand one up on Ishibahsi a while back for around £500

Edited by Stacker