Why become a member? ×

gibson thunderbird

xesusxesus

They're obviously a Marmite bass -- but they sound great to my ears. The pickups are very high output and the tone's very clanky.

Their neck dive is a pain but nothing that a suede strap won't sort out. And, like many, mine's got finish issues which I ignore. :)

I'd go for the Gibson rather than Epiphone.

Cheers

Mark

Be careful............................

My Gibson 'Bird is lovely to play, once the action was sorted out, has a lovely fast neck, and has a really good growly Tbird sound to it. Check any potential purchase out VERY carefully, as IMHO, quality control is poor :)

Thats not to say that there aren't some really beautiful Tbirds out there, maybe I just got unlucky

Edited by retroman

i played a T-bird the other day while testing out some Ampeg gear, (SVT 4 pro and 8-10 cab) KILLER combo, what the bassist fro "Ash" uses i think, (but the Autobots sticker makes up most of his tone me thinks)

What is a good price to pay for a Gibson Thunderbird?

The one in the shop wasn't priced at that time (there wasn't a tag, and i was too shy to ask as the guy at the counter was with his girl friend, unprofessional much!)

Plus i've my eye on the Ampeg stuff XD

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='721944' date='Jan 23 2010, 09:25 AM']The T bird is all about the triumph of style over practicality. It's the bass that says "wake up , it's time to rock!"[/quote]

Personally I think this is one of those myths that gets handed down to each successive generation of bassists. (second statement agreed with, of course!)

I like to rest my right hand on the top body bout so you can really dig in hard and fast against the strings - like Thunderfingers (pic) - only wish I had an ounce of the talent!

That's what makes my '65 T'bird IV the most ergonomic bass I've ever played, by a big margin. The well-known strap button re-position mod sorts out the balance issue. :)

[quote name='Shaggy' post='722064' date='Jan 23 2010, 12:00 PM']Personally I think this is one of those myths that gets handed down to each successive generation of bassists. (second statement agreed with, of course!)

I like to rest my right hand on the top body bout so you can really dig in hard and fast against the strings - like Thunderfingers (pic) - only wish I had an ounce of the talent!

That's what makes my '65 T'bird IV the most ergonomic bass I've ever played, by a big margin. The well-known strap button re-position mod sorts out the balance issue. :)[/quote]
I do agree with this, in my original post I meant that if you like Tbirds it doesn't matter what design flaws they are said to have, you still love them and play them.
I also play with my right hand resting on the body, it cures the neck dive without having to move the strap button.

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='721958' date='Jan 23 2010, 10:54 AM']i played a T-bird the other day while testing out some Ampeg gear, (SVT 4 pro and 8-10 cab) KILLER combo, what the bassist fro "Ash" uses i think, (but the Autobots sticker makes up most of his tone me thinks)

What is a good price to pay for a Gibson Thunderbird?

The one in the shop wasn't priced at that time (there wasn't a tag, and i was too shy to ask as the guy at the counter was with his girl friend, unprofessional much!)

Plus i've my eye on the Ampeg stuff XD[/quote]
If you want close to the original t.bird sound for less than a new (or second hand), modern Gibson version you could try to find a 70s/80s Japanese made Geco Thunderbird. They're very well made and, like the original T.birds of the 60s, have much hotter, growlier (chrome) pickups than the later (black soapbar) versions. I've seen them go on Ebay for 350-400 quid, which is allot cheaper than the ten grand I saw being asked for an original NR T.Bird :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='722166' date='Jan 23 2010, 01:52 PM']If you want close to the original t.bird sound for less than a new (or second hand), modern Gibson version you could try to find a 70s/80s Japanese made Geco Thunderbird. They're very well made and, like the original T.birds of the 60s, have much hotter, growlier (chrome) pickups than the later (black soapbar) versions. I've seen them go on Ebay for 350-400 quid, which is allot cheaper than the ten grand I saw being asked for an original NR T.Bird :)[/quote]

Oh ok, what about the new ones from the 2000s?

This one i saw i just found out is £999

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' post='722087' date='Jan 23 2010, 12:29 PM']I do agree with this, in my original post I meant that if you like Tbirds it doesn't matter what design flaws they are said to have, you still love them and play them.
I also play with my right hand resting on the body, it cures the neck dive without having to move the strap button.[/quote]
?
I was told that you shouldnt rest any of your arm on the guitar as it can aggrivate the wrist and cause injuries - is that not true ?

I love my TBiird(s)
The Epiphone is lovely looking but not great soundwise-I´ve heard better copies-Grecco, Tokai etc

My Gibson T-Bird is great!
I bought (more like traded for ) a second-hand Thunderbird Studio V in Ebony with Gibson case.
Beautiful instrument.
Have always been a kind of hard-line Fender guy (ocasionally picking up a Ray or G&L)
And always four strings!
The opportunity to cross both lines with one bass was too awesome to resist. :rolleyes:
Always loved the look of them, just hated the price tag and neck dive
Took a while to get the 5 string thing down, but got there. But as far as the actual instrument goes-great value.
Have seen and heard Les Paul and Firebird Studio models (they are pretty much Gibson´s version of the Fender Highwy series imo) and have seen tons of variation in finish and fit and playability.
Some are planks, some are great.
The finish on my TBird is lovely. No flaws anywhere. My only problem is with the hardware. So many sharp edges on the bridge and the volume and tone knob were backwards (tone on aneck pup pot, then vol ,vol).
If, like me, you can make such little sacrifices and get past this, you will be ok.
I love the clank from the TBird and fiddling with the bridge pup volume, you can get some great classic rock sounds, as well as some cool indie vibes- Kings of Leon, Breeders etc.
Very high output pups, but run them through an SVT with a bit of grit and you´re on the pig´s back headed toward tonal bliss!
Oh, and neck dive is not really an issue with the studio model!
There is about 4 or 500 quid of a difference between the Tbird and TBird studio-Try both if you can and A/B them.
I personally prefer my studio, but it´s a matter of what sounds best to you.
Happy hunting :)

[quote name='thunderbird13' post='722259' date='Jan 23 2010, 03:52 PM']?
I was told that you shouldnt rest any of your arm on the guitar as it can aggrivate the wrist and cause injuries - is that not true ?[/quote]
I'm not a medical man but it's never caused me any problems (as far as I know John Entwistle didn't suffer any problems either, and he would have put in a lot more playing hours than me) IMO what you were told is most definitely not true.
It's a very comfortable way to play the Tbird and it cures the neck dive.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was the designers intension that it should be played like that, try it , it feels just right.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='xesusxesus' post='725560' date='Jan 26 2010, 06:36 PM']does anybody knows what model (i mean what year, what pick ups... ) is using Dean Bernardini of Chevelle? he's got a killer sound.[/quote]

From the few videos and live bits I´ve seen, he´s weilding a Black Gibson Thunderbird (standard model)
As for pups, not 100% but I reckon they´re Gibson stock.
And that tone is, I reckon, The classic TBird into a Sansamp driver

Edited by basshead56

[quote name='basshead56' post='722312' date='Jan 23 2010, 04:51 PM']Oh, and neck dive is not really an issue with the studio model!
There is about 4 or 500 quid of a difference between the Tbird and TBird studio[/quote]

I'm guessing that the Studio is the chepaer model???

Cheers

[quote name='farmer61' post='726035' date='Jan 27 2010, 08:49 AM']I'm guessing that the Studio is the chepaer model???

Cheers[/quote]

Yip, Studio is cheaper than the standard model.
The Studio line was basically Gibson´s version of a cheaper USA built series-like Fender Highway One series, or Musicman S.U.B. series
The studio also has a smaller body and headstock. Same pups,wiring, controls and tuners as the standard.
Better bridge on the studio than the standard too.
The first run of studios also came with the same Gibson cases as the standard (there were a limited number of brown/pnk int. ones with studios)The rest were grey or black.
Also, there is no standard V string- this is only a studio series option

[quote name='xesusxesus' post='731260' date='Feb 1 2010, 02:02 AM']what do you think? [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bass-Guitar-Gibson-Thunderbird-w-Hard-case_W0QQitemZ320478517330QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4a9e021852"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bass-Guitar-Gibson-T...=item4a9e021852[/url][/quote]
Looks like a DiMarzio model 1 in the neck postiton. It does look a quite well used so I wouldn't go straight for it - take your time like retroman says, it's a buyers market. Have you been round the shops and tried a few out yet?

[quote name='retroman' post='731324' date='Feb 1 2010, 08:05 AM']Looks solid, and straight enough to me, but I think the asking price is a bit steep.

The installation of that neck pickup looks a bit of a bodge to me, and looking at the wear on the front of the body, it's been played a lot.

Me personally, I'd wait for another to come up :)[/quote]

+1
Wait a bit mate, you could get a much better one at that price