Why become a member? ×

Bass Buzz

KrispyDK

My bass is making a terrible buzz. A clever man told me it maybe to do with other electrical appliances that are on the same circuit.

I turned everything from the pc to the fridge off to try and prove that theory. The last thing left to turn off (besides the bass amp) were the lights.

It was the bloody lights! So, my question is, is that normal or should I expect more from my bass in terms of shielding? It wasn't mega expensive but it wasn't cheap either - £300 active bass.

What do you think?

No, it doesn't stop when I touch the strings. It does stop if I touch the plug on the lead at the guitar end. Also, it's not consistent - only happens in certain areas of the room, i.e. near the light switch.

Haven't yet sussed all the knobs out on the bass yet but it gets louder when I turn one of them all the way up. It's either the high freq tone or the pickup blend knob.

Thanks Kev, tried a few different leads now with the same result so I think I can rule that out.

Really, my query is - is it a 'fault' with the bass, should I expect it or should I go back to the shop and ask them to fix it? Of course, if I do go back to the shop the bloody thing probably won't buzz!

If the buzzing stop or gets quieter when you touch the jack body, but the same doesn't happen when you touch the strings, then almost certainly your strings aren't earthed to the electrics - you can confirm this by checking the resistance between them with a multimeter - it should show 0 ohms or nearly so. There should be a good connection, usuallly from the back of a pot via a wire, often to the bridge somewhere...

When the guitar is properly earthed, then your body plays an important part in screening RF interference from it, mainly around the back - but this can only happen if your body is grounded - usually via the strings. If it is not grounded, then your body will usually make the buzz worse, by actually re-radiating noise into the guitar...

An alternative approach is a careful internal screening job usually using either adhesive copper foil or conductive paint - in each case that must be properly earthed too...

Usually though, properly earthed strings achieve most of what you need...

Lights with dimmers, and florescents, are usually worse than simple incandescent lights.

Alan