Why become a member? ×

Clacking strings

bungle

After a recent string change, I'm finding that when I play a note from about the 7th fret onwards on my E-string the vibration of the string is catching the fretboard further down towards the 15th fret, making a nasty clacking noise and choking the notes a bit. It gets worse the harder I play, and if I detune the string to D, which I need to for a song.

The action seems reasonable - it's certainly not perilously low. Is this symptomatic of a lack of relief or too much relief in the neck, and is a tweak of the truss rod likely to solve it?

I'm not an expert but it sounds like too much relief in the neck to me. Put your elbow on the end of the fretboard (body end) and hold down the thickest string, then with your other hand, fret the same string on the first fret. If there's more than a credit card width of play at the 7th fret then you probably need to tighten the truss rod a bit. I do it gradually - a quarter turn each day until I get the desired result - be patient while the neck settles. You may need to raise the bridge saddles slightly too once the neck's settled.

Edited by niceguyhomer

I think the new strings are a touch heavier - it'd been so long since it'd been restrung I had no idea what gauge was on previously, otherwise I'd have rebought the same.

Now I think about it - heavier strings would have a higher tension, putting more relief in to the neck and thus making the truss rod need a tighten.

Cheers guys

[quote name='bungle' post='718181' date='Jan 19 2010, 06:15 PM']I think the new strings are a touch heavier - it'd been so long since it'd been restrung I had no idea what gauge was on previously, otherwise I'd have rebought the same.

Now I think about it - heavier strings would have a higher tension, putting more relief in to the neck and thus making the truss rod need a tighten.

Cheers guys[/quote]

when you change strings..even the same gauges same make...recheck all the settings
bow...your usual
action..and pup settings etc
it lends an air of completion to the exercise

clacking can be associated with differing cores as well...same gauge..different wraps and core...more flexible etc

worth going through the checklist though

[quote name='bungle' post='718181' date='Jan 19 2010, 06:15 PM']I think the new strings are a touch heavier - it'd been so long since it'd been restrung I had no idea what gauge was on previously, otherwise I'd have rebought the same.

Cheers guys[/quote]

When you put a heavier set of strings on, yes it'll give the neck more tension thus bowing the neck forward... but aren't you meant to loosen the neck? ie: bowing the neck backwards by turning the truss rod to the left... so it's lefty loosey = countering the tension from the neck from being pulled by the heavier strings....

Someone correct me if im wrong... :)

[quote name='erisu' post='719960' date='Jan 21 2010, 11:39 AM']When you put a heavier set of strings on, yes it'll give the neck more tension thus bowing the neck forward... but aren't you meant to loosen the neck? ie: bowing the neck backwards by turning the truss rod to the left... so it's lefty loosey = countering the tension from the neck from being pulled by the heavier strings....

Someone correct me if im wrong... :)[/quote]

No, the truss rod's job is to counteract the tension placed on the neck by the strings. If you loosen the truss rod, this allows the strings to pull more relief. You need to tighten up the truss rod to lessen the relief.

[quote name='neepheid' post='720018' date='Jan 21 2010, 12:30 PM']No, the truss rod's job is to counteract the tension placed on the neck by the strings. If you loosen the truss rod, this allows the strings to pull more relief. You need to tighten up the truss rod to lessen the relief.[/quote]

So in effect, turning the rod left will increase the bow on the neck (upwards) but turning it right, will loosen the neck (downwards). Seems confusing (to me it does) when 'righty tighty, lefty loosey" is said as i assumed tight = bow foward, loose = bow back.

Also... my Ibanez ATK truss rod is on the heel of the neck, does the same rules apply by turning left = pull more relief, turning right = loosen relief?

Edited by erisu

[quote name='erisu' post='720031' date='Jan 21 2010, 12:39 PM']So in effect, turning the rod left will increase the bow on the neck (upwards) but turning it right, will loosen the neck (downwards). Seems confusing (to me it does) when 'righty tighty, lefty loosey" is said as i assumed tight = bow foward, loose = bow back.

Also... my Ibanez ATK truss rod is on the heel of the neck, does the same rules apply by turning left = pull more relief, turning right = loosen relief?[/quote]
Turning the truss rod left will indeed increase the bow of the neck because you are loosening the truss rod and allowing the strings to pull the neck forward.

Turning the truss rod to the right tightens it (ie. pulls the neck backward) counteracting the pull of the strings and therefore decreasing the bow of the neck.