Why become a member? ×

P Bass + Varitone?

Andy Blowers

[quote name='Andy Blowers' post='716134' date='Jan 17 2010, 10:55 PM']Just wondering, has anyone tried swapping the tone pot in their P Bass for a Varitone? I'm seriously comtemplating it...[/quote]

Me too. Also, been interested in trying one out. The only thing for me, is that I do use the tone control on my precision, so don't want to lose it or have another pot there for the varitone. Mmmm...
Wonder if they're available with dual pots or something similar?

[quote name='bass5' post='716351' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:29 AM']I have no idea and can't be arsed to google, what's a varitone, an add-on preamp circuit?[/quote]

The varitone is a gibson thing, it is a series of caps on a switch, thus giving different tones in different positions. Google it, it is a neat idea. Just wondering what it is like in a P Bass...

I had a BC Rich Mockingbird (which now belongs to Mr Foxen) that had a Varitone. Lovely big chicken head knob (ooh er) and it gave a nice set of quick tone options. Can't say I actually used it much, though!

Edited by Wil

[quote name='Andy Blowers' post='716134' date='Jan 17 2010, 11:55 PM']Just wondering, has anyone tried swapping the tone pot in their P Bass for a Varitone? I'm seriously comtemplating it...[/quote]
thebassman75 asked the same question earlier in the technical section. I've tried one (fitted to my EB-0 atm), and they're pretty good although they offer a specific range of tones rather than precise tone shaping you'd get with an active cut/boost. I guess you could increase the versatility (and complication) by running it through a 250K pot before the earth so you can vary the effect each position has. Dammit, I'm getting my soldering iron out and trying it meself.

[quote name='bass5' post='716351' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:29 AM']I have no idea and can't be arsed to google, what's a varitone, an add-on preamp circuit?[/quote]
In the time it took you to write that post you really could've Googled it...but, I guess you knew that - it's an attitude thing - I understand.

Many years ago I fitted a simpler, DIY type, to a Precision, which was basically a micro switch and capacitor connected to the tone pot. It was very effective and is still on the bass today.

[quote name='Andy Blowers' post='716531' date='Jan 18 2010, 01:12 PM']The varitone is a gibson thing, it is a series of caps on a switch, thus giving different tones in different positions. Google it, it is a neat idea. Just wondering what it is like in a P Bass...[/quote]

i dont use tone at all ...use the bddi or the preamp eq

so i am not arsing my way out of this comforable seat :)

Well I better excuse myself for saying I couldn't be arsed, and no it's nothing to do with wearing an attitude, I just knew in the back of my head that this varitone was something that would fall in the gimmick category and that maybe 1 bass player out of 10 might like.

If it was any good, I am sure I would have heard of by now. But I haven't heard any such talk of varitone around the campfire of other respectable players. When you've got a good bass and amp, you have all that you need and to retrofit, any add-on bits would be like putting go faster stripes on a punto, but to me it's more like fitting a roof rack on a Rolls

[quote name='SteveK' post='716850' date='Jan 18 2010, 05:57 PM']In the time it took you to write that post you really could've Googled it...but, I guess you knew that - it's an attitude thing - I understand.

Many years ago I fitted a simpler, DIY type, to a Precision, which was basically a micro switch and capacitor connected to the tone pot. It was very effective and is still on the bass today.[/quote]

What did it do?

[quote name='bass5' post='716903' date='Jan 18 2010, 06:46 PM']Well I better excuse myself for saying I couldn't be arsed, and no it's nothing to do with wearing an attitude, I just knew in the back of my head that this varitone was something that would fall in the gimmick category and that maybe 1 bass player out of 10 might like.

If it was any good, I am sure I would have heard of by now. But I haven't heard any such talk of varitone around the campfire of other respectable players. When you've got a good bass and amp, you have all that you need and to retrofit, any add-on bits would be like putting go faster stripes on a punto, but to me it's more like fitting a roof rack on a Rolls[/quote]

I know what you mean but if you have a P that works fine as a P but is also capable of other things, why not.
Is it so different to adding a J pickup?

[quote name='OldGit' post='717154' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:17 PM']What did it do?[/quote]
The switch would switch the capacitor in or out.

If switched out, then the tone pot works as a normal Precision pot - Cutting the usual frequency...whatever that is :)

If switched in, then the capacitor changes the frequency that is being cut.

If the pot is turned to full, then obviously, the switching makes no difference.

I remember trying several different value cap's before deciding which to stick with.

Very simple to do.

Oh, and while I was at it, I added a series/parallel switch. :rolleyes:

EDIT: I've never used a varitone pot,[i] but[/i], stikes me it's the same thing that Aria SB's had/have.

Edited by SteveK

[quote name='SteveK' post='717335' date='Jan 18 2010, 11:19 PM']The switch would switch the capacitor in or out.

If switched out, then the tone pot works as a normal Precision pot - Cutting the usual frequency...whatever that is :)

If switched in, then the capacitor changes the frequency that is being cut.

If the pot is turned to full, then obviously, the switching makes no difference.

I remember trying several different value cap's before deciding which to stick with.

Very simple to do.

Oh, and while I was at it, I added a series/parallel switch. :rolleyes:[/quote]

Ok. Ta
I have one of these around here somewhere on a push pull. two different caps.
This thing doesn't give you any variation on each cap though if I understand it. You just get 5 or 6 different settings and that's it.
Most P bass players I know use two tone settings - full on and full off - so I guess anything else is overkill

I recently installed a similar device on my Precision Bass. It's called a Tonestyler.
Here's a link: [url="http://www.stellartone.com/Page.asp?NavID=147"]http://www.stellartone.com/Page.asp?NavID=147[/url]

It's like 15 different capacitors and a no-capacitor option all in one small control.

I liked it so much on my P-Bass that I immediately order 3 more and installed them in another P-Bass, a Jazz Bass and a Dingwall Afterburner. It seems to have the best tone variations on split pick-ups such as the P-Bass and Afterburner pickups. For me, it wasn't as pleasing on the Jazz Bass.