Why become a member? ×

Learning a different instrument.....

Can I caution against Brass with Yamaha Silent Brass - okay for a few minutes a day but total reliance on the mute will wreck your chops (lips in the Brass world not flashy runs of scales etc!), the pressure and resistance is all wrong, no matter what it says in the ads. Plus, as has been mentioned before on this thread, the intonation is poor.

[quote name='JonnyB' post='715224' date='Jan 16 2010, 09:41 PM']Can I caution against Brass with Yamaha Silent Brass - okay for a few minutes a day but total reliance on the mute will wreck your chops (lips in the Brass world not flashy runs of scales etc!), the pressure and resistance is all wrong, no matter what it says in the ads. Plus, as has been mentioned before on this thread, the intonation is poor.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more.
I personally would use a cup mute. the sort where you can slide the cup around so tha it can be either quieter or louder.
This does make it really quiet and allows you to play properly.
even a harmon mute isnt great.
Matt

Got it, it's cheap @£9.99, got a headphone socket, keyboard based so another instrument and cool as can be, can even take it to the pub...f**k it I'm buying one tomorrow myself to help me tab stuff in the car!

...not too long ago these were changing hands for £300 on fleabay, but thank goodness they are making them all over again....wonder if they do bass model?

[quote name='iconic' post='716892' date='Jan 18 2010, 06:41 PM']Got it, it's cheap @£9.99, got a headphone socket, keyboard based so another instrument and cool as can be, can even take it to the pub...f**k it I'm buying one tomorrow myself to help me tab stuff in the car!

...not too long ago these were changing hands for £300 on fleabay, but thank goodness they are making them all over again....wonder if they do bass model?

[/quote]

Wow! my guitar friend used to play this through his marshall stack with pedals. Totally rocks. :)
Me? I hated the tiny layout. Reminds me of some mobile phones.

Cheers

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='717160' date='Jan 18 2010, 09:20 PM']I know banjo has been mentioned, but i think they seem cool and not too loud. If i could get my hands on a cheap 5 string banjo i would be happy.[/quote]

Sometimes I think of Satch, or Deliverance. But then ,I have to stop right there...because George Formby
will get stuck in my head forever. (he does make nice grills tho')