Why become a member? ×

Any idea what strings these are?

thinman

[quote name='thinman' post='711702' date='Jan 13 2010, 06:28 PM']Does anyone have an idea of the make of strings fitted to a Squier CV P as standard? I quite like them and would like to know what make they are.

The only clue I can give is that the "balls/bullets" (?) at the bridge-end are colour-coded.[/quote]
D'Addario

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='711768' date='Jan 13 2010, 07:10 PM']D'Addario[/quote]

Really ET? Despite the Squier website saying the factory fitted ones are "Fender Super Bass 7250ML, NPS, Gauges: (.045, .065, .080, .100), "

Unless you mean D'Addario make them for Fender.

[quote name='Buzz' post='711904' date='Jan 13 2010, 08:51 PM']Really ET? Despite the Squier website saying the factory fitted ones are "Fender Super Bass 7250ML, NPS, Gauges: (.045, .065, .080, .100), "

Unless you mean D'Addario make them for Fender.[/quote]
Well, I don't know what they are for sure.

My Classic Vibe Jazz (and others too I believe) also came with the colour coded ball ends. I don't honestly know what they are but I took them to be D'Addarios because of the colour coded ball ends. It was discussed before here: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68650&hl"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=68650&hl[/url]

Do Fender Super Bass 7250ML have colour coded ball ends? I was unaware that they did but if they do then I expect that's what they are.

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='Buzz' post='711982' date='Jan 13 2010, 10:04 PM']Thing is, we can go either way as 'factory' really means the shop it was bought from in 99.9% of cases, and inspection and setup varies from shop to shop. Some leave the strings, some change them. Tit for tat really.[/quote]
I'd be surprised if many shops were going to the expense of changing strings - especially on a £250 bass!!

I'd be even more surprised if all the shops were changing them for the same colour coded ball end strings - whatever make they are.

Well, I just dug out the strings that came on my CV Jazz and I'd say they have typical D'Addario colour coded ball ends: green - G, black - D, red - A, and brass - E, and no silk wraps.

If you look at the enlarged picture on the Squier website for both the CV Jazz and the CV precision, you see the same colour coded ball ends and no silk wraps.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='712074' date='Jan 13 2010, 11:16 PM']Well, I just dug out the strings that came on my CV Jazz and I'd say they have typical D'Addario colour coded ball ends: green - G, black - D, red - A, and brass - E, and no silk wraps.

If you look at the enlarged picture on the Squier website for both the CV Jazz and the CV precision, you see the same colour coded ball ends and no silk wraps.[/quote]

Hmm. On mine there's no silk wraps - ball ends are yellow, red, blue and green E to G respectively.

[quote name='thinman' post='713014' date='Jan 14 2010, 08:32 PM']Hmm. On mine there's no silk wraps - ball ends are yellow, red, blue and green E to G respectively.[/quote]
Well, who knows, but my bet is still that they are D'Addarios. There's several threads on Talk Bass that mention VM Squiers not having the strings that the Squier website says - specifically not having Fender Super Bass 7250ML.

It's would seem odd if they are D'Addario but I can't myself see what else they are.

Maybe what you are calling yellow is what I am calling brass, and maybe that black is a dark blue. The colours as I named them is what D'Addario calls them and they are exactly the same as other D'Addario strings I have used.

I really don't think they are Fender Super Bass 7250ML. But who knows?

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='713043' date='Jan 14 2010, 08:54 PM']Well, who knows, but my bet is still that they are D'Addarios. There's several threads on Talk Bass that mention VM Squiers not having the strings that the Squier website says - specifically not having Fender Super Bass 7250ML.

It's would seem odd if they are D'Addario but I can't myself see what else they are.

Maybe what you are calling yellow is what I am calling brass, and maybe that black is a dark blue. The colours as I named them is what D'Addario calls them and they are exactly the same as other D'Addario strings I have used.

I really don't think they are Fender Super Bass 7250ML. But who knows?[/quote]

Thanks for your efforts - I'll take a punt on some D'Addarios since I need some new ones for the Jazz. I've gone off Rotosound strings - they lose their zing too quickly. Shame as I almost live next door to their factory!

[quote name='thinman' post='713057' date='Jan 14 2010, 09:06 PM']Thanks for your efforts - I'll take a punt on some D'Addarios since I need some new ones for the Jazz. I've gone off Rotosound strings - they lose their zing too quickly. Shame as I almost live next door to their factory![/quote]
Well, let us know what you think if you get some D'Addarios.

• 5 weeks later...

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? The strings that come as new on these basses are wonderful, but not quite the right gauge for me. I've tried the Fender 7250L's, they are indeed non-colour coded and have the black wrappings as noted. I do not think the Fender's are what come as stock.

Anyone?

Grand Reward who make the Cv's in China use d'addario on everything they make.

So, although Fender say they use Fender strings on the spec, the factory who make them for Fender use d'addario.
Do do Gibson Custom Shop sometimes, and Takamine acoustic guitars.

Rotosound have just done a deal to supply strings for Fender Japan too apparently.

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='744345' date='Feb 13 2010, 10:49 PM']Grand Reward who make the Cv's in China use d'addario on everything they make.

So, although Fender say they use Fender strings on the spec, the factory who make them for Fender use d'addario.
Do do Gibson Custom Shop sometimes, and Takamine acoustic guitars.

Rotosound have just done a deal to supply strings for Fender Japan too apparently.[/quote]

Thanks for that. Very interesting!

Thoughts on whether they might use nickels or steels for the CV Jazz?

[quote name='AndyTravis' post='744370' date='Feb 13 2010, 11:54 PM']Nickel. The XL's. D'addario prosteels don't feel like that.[/quote]

Brilliant. Thanks so much!

I stopped by the local guitar shop today while I was out, and they said the same. Sadly, they didn't have the gauges I liked in stock. I'll have to order them online instead.

I played the CV Jazz they had in the shop, and once again I was reminded of how much I like the D'addarios. Can't wait for them to arrive now!

Pete

Edited by funkle