Why become a member? ×

Octave

TGEvans

I have a Boss oc2 octave pedal that I have never used.had it for years. Are they any good compared to other octavers out there? Also who would be good to listen to that uses an octaver to good effect? Never used one live. Have heard though that they can cause problems with speakers?any info would be great,t

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='710754' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:17 PM']Octabass sounds kind of like the OC2, but tracks bunches better lower down. Plus mine is for sale.[/quote]

IME it doesn't track any better than the OC-2. And notes below low A are a bit pointless anyway.

My OC-2 is one of the few pedals I'm proper happy with and haven't even thought of selling, I use it mostly with the -1 oct soloed for synthy reggae/dub -type stuff, or blended with other less-bass-friendly pedals to give them some bottom.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='710768' date='Jan 12 2010, 11:31 PM']IME it doesn't track any better than the OC-2. And notes below low A are a bit pointless anyway.

My OC-2 is one of the few pedals I'm proper happy with and haven't even thought of selling, I use it mostly with the -1 oct soloed for synthy reggae/dub -type stuff, or blended with other less-bass-friendly pedals to give them some bottom.[/quote]

Definitley, there's just no better octaver, I mainly use mine for synth stuff, set it to just -1oct and play the line one octave higher, with fuzz and a filter it sounds just heavenly

Like the sig btw, very ironical. A bass made out of cheese or bacon would be nice too.

I have had a few octavers including a couple of OC-2's I now use an MXR that I really like as you have control over the growl but to be honest it's not worth the extra cash - stick with the excellent OC-2.

Pino on Gary Numan's I Assassin

or

Joan Armatrading's The Shouting Stage

are worth a listen.

R.

the best use of an octave pedal would have to be that on the "Wartime - Fast food for thought" e.p. as played by highly underrated bassist Andy Weiss and sung by Henry Rollins in their cover version of the grateful dead track 'Franklin's Tower'
this is not just my opinion. i challenge anybody to find a better use of a bass guitar and octave pedal. it's a bit obscure, but his playing rips !!
unfortunately, i can't find any downloadable example.
PM me with you e-mail address and i'll attempt to send you an mp3 if you don't believe me.