Why become a member? ×

Sending A bass abroad.

ziggydolphinboy

Hi bassers,
i got a nice guy interested in my warwick dolphin sntcs5,
but he lives in romania,i have the warwick rock case and all the candy and hes well upfor it at 800 pounds,
but DHL want [b]£260.00[/b] to ship it.

AARRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!

A. im worried about the bass in the plane, and transit?.
B. what happens if it does go missing/gets broke(obviously it will be insured) where do we both stand?
C. surely it dont cost as much as that!!!!!?
any suggestions would be glady apprreciated.
Kindest regards
ziggy/john.

Try getting a quote through [url="http://www.interparcel.com/"]Interparcel[/url] - I got a price of something like £70 to ship my (edit: Stingray!) in a hardcase to Spain last summer, courier was DPD, packing matls (cardboard, tonnes of bubblewrap) was another £10-15 IIRC.

Or you could look at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36625"]this sticky[/url] for more advice.

If I were you, I'd insist on having the payment in my account before sending the bass. If you can't get insurance for it (some couriers won't insure musical instruments beyond a uselessly low amount) make sure the buyer is aware of that and is willing to take the risk.

If you're packing inside a hard case that isn't moulded to support the full length of the neck, build up under the neck with folds of stiff cardboard to provide some support (bear in mind stuff may get stacked on top of your bass on a pallet). Wrap bubbles around everything, tape the bubbles so they don't move, tape any cardboard supports to the bubbles that are taped to the bass, etc. - put a bit of thought into the packing and you should be safe.

Edited by thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='709607' date='Jan 11 2010, 11:46 PM']Try getting a quote through [url="http://www.interparcel.com/"]Interparcel[/url] - I got a price of something like £70 to ship my (edit: Stingray!) in a hardcase to Spain last summer, courier was DPD, packing matls (cardboard, tonnes of bubblewrap) was another £10-15 IIRC.

Or you could look at [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=36625"]this sticky[/url] for more advice.

If I were you, I'd insist on having the payment in my account before sending the bass. If you can't get insurance for it (some couriers won't insure musical instruments beyond a uselessly low amount) make sure the buyer is aware of that and is willing to take the risk.

If you're packing inside a hard case that isn't moulded to support the full length of the neck, build up under the neck with folds of stiff cardboard to provide some support (bear in mind stuff may get stacked on top of your bass on a pallet). Wrap bubbles around everything, tape the bubbles so they don't move, tape any cardboard supports to the bubbles that are taped to the bass, etc. - put a bit of thought into the packing and you should be safe.[/quote]

thanks guys,
i clocked the other thread yesterday,
ill get a couple of quotes today ut thinkity may be bestto leave it , as its a tad risky.

zdb!

:)

I do not have a problem to pay the bass first; i bought from this website an line 6 pod xt live a month ago. I've payed the pedalboard and then he send me the pedal. I like the Dolphin and is not a problem, i can send you the cash before. The problem is the fee for the shippment.. i mean 260 pounds is a big amounth. I belive that if you will assure the bass only with 800 pounds (the price that i'll pay you for the bass) the costs will be smaller.

Regards

[quote name='lscolman' post='710316' date='Jan 12 2010, 05:39 PM']Hi,

Just to say that Robert is a straight up bloke. He bought my Line6 BassPod XT Live, and paid by Paypal. He called me several times from Romania to check on progress, and called when it arrived.

Cheers, Lee[/quote]

Hi robert,
i got a quote yesterday for around £100.00,( i goto phone up today and get a proper price as i had to sort a skip man out as i was phoning for youre qoute!!)
but it will only be insured for 500.00.
i wasnt doubting you, just bit scary my end, it will come in the rock case i will lossen the strings and put all the bits in for you.
it will be sent by dhl and we will be able to track it, illl put two locks on the lacthes and tell you the codes.
let us know what you think
kindest regards,
ziggy/john.

I bought a bass from France last week - turned out it was actually cheaper for
me to fly down to Paris, hand over the money, inspect the goods, and return
than shipping it. And is was safer as well, scam-wise, since I didn't know the seller and
he did'nt know me. And I got to bring back some good cheese.

[quote name='ziggydolphinboy' post='710893' date='Jan 13 2010, 09:05 AM']... it will come in the rock case ... illl put two locks on the lacthes and tell you the codes.[/quote]

Don't do that. If customs see it they'll want to open it, and they will open it one way or another. Better to just leave it openable than force them to damage the case to get inside.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='711236' date='Jan 13 2010, 01:11 PM']Don't do that. If customs see it they'll want to open it, and they will open it one way or another. Better to just leave it openable than force them to damage the case to get inside.[/quote]

ok thank you for that thats a good point, shall i just put gaffa tape over the catches then that way they can just open it.
regards
ziggy