Why become a member? ×

Name that amp!

drewm

Humping my fairly hefty Trace Elliot combo into the car last night, I thought that perhaps I'm getting a bit old for this and should look at replacing it with something lighter. So I figured I should work out what I've got first - I bought it 15 years ago and so the tech spec is a bit, err, hazy.

But I can't find any record of it on the TE site.

It's proper pre-Gibson stuff, a Series 6 GP7, 15 inch combo. Downloading the owners guide for Series 6, they only list one 7-band 15" combo, the cleverly named 715. That's rated at 100W, which sounds low, and it's listed as [i]not[/i] supporting an additional speaker. My amp has two speaker outputs.

The model number inked on the label at the back says either 7155 or more likely 715S (S for the additional speaker support, perhaps?) - but I can find no record of either model.

Anyone have any knowledge of a TE 715S combo, and if so, what its power rating might be?

I think we need a bit more info.....to be honest

on the front does it say anything - "series 6"

How many band is the EQ?

is it vinyl or carpet covered? does the front of the cab have red stripes on it?

better still.....have u any photos? it doesnt sound like a series 6 715 to me, more like a 1215 which was 200watts and had an extra speaker cab input, but then that would conflict with what you're saying.....sounds like a post-series 6 model to me....

[quote name='Jambo' post='709626' date='Jan 12 2010, 12:18 AM']on the front does it say anything - "series 6"
How many band is the EQ?
is it vinyl or carpet covered? does the front of the cab have red stripes on it?[/quote]

Yes, as I mentioned, it's a Series 6 GP7 - so 7-band EQ. Vinyl covered, metal grill, no red stripes, and none of those funny sound ports.

It basically looks like like a Series 6 715 should, but with an extra output and I'm sure it's more than 100W.

[quote name='Merton' post='709687' date='Jan 12 2010, 07:44 AM']I have a funny feeling the Series 6 715 had two speaker outputs anyway...[/quote]

That sounds completely logical to me (this was relatively high-end for a combo at the time) but the Series 6 owners manual says:

[quote]You can also add a 4052H to a combo amplifier to extend the high frequency response by connecting the Jack to Jack speaker lead to the Combo extension speaker output, ([b]N.B. excluding the 715 Combo which has no extension speaker output.[/b])[/quote]

My amp has two outputs - one which the internal speaker plugs into and one spare. And whilst looking for that, I just spotted this:

[quote]GP7 - All specifications are identical to those for the GP12 Pre-Amp except for the Equalisation:- +/- 15dB at 7 centre frequencies. [b]The GP7 has no DI output.[/b][/quote]

This amp is clearly Series 6, so I have the correct owner manual. It's also very clearly a GP7 (both these are printed on the front panel). But this amp has an XLR DI output section on the front, so again doesn't match the spec in the manual.

I'm pretty sure it's the same width, but I'll do some measuring and try and take some photos today.

This isn't my amp - just a photo I found via Google Image Search.

The top amp is what the owner's manual describes as being a Series 6 GP7. The bottom amp is like the one in my combo - note the addition of the DI output.

I'm guessing the Series 6 range was revised at some point, but the TE site doesn't have the revised specs.

Try on Talk Bass, there's a couple of Trace Nuts on there and a load of info...

Here's a couple of threads

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291451"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291451[/url]

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388352"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388352[/url]

According to one of my old catalogues the bottom head is an [b]AH2007S[/b] i.e an AH200 with the GP7 pre-amp

The 1 x15 combo with that same amp is the 7215

200-watts RMS

H: 590mm
W:610mm
D:335mm

I've tried scanning the page but the images are so small that much the detail disappears, even at high resolution.

[attachment=40043:T7215.jpg]

[quote name='obbm' post='709772' date='Jan 12 2010, 10:19 AM']According to one of my old catalogues the bottom head is an [b]AH2007S[/b] i.e an AH200 with the GP7 pre-amp

The 1 x15 combo with that same amp is the 7215[/quote]

Ah, thanks for this - but my combo is narrower than the one in your scan. It doesn't have the extra vent spacer panels either side of the preamp.

But, that said, it's likely that whatever mine is, it's going to be around the same spec.

I'd always had it in my head that this was a 400W amp - although thinking about it, that doesn't make much sense for something this size. I was 15 when I bought it, so that could easily be down to me misunderstanding at the time. If it [i]is[/i] 200W RMS, then it's possible that the sales person quoted me 400W [i]peak[/i] to make it sound more impressive.

He also told me that it had be played by Mike Mills of R.E.M. so I think it's a reasonable assumption that the guy was a bit of a wheeler-dealer. ;-)

But, most interesting of all, this means that my point of reference for how loud bass amps are has just changed. If what I thought was a 400W amp is actually 200W, then a replacement rig just got a lot cheaper! :-)

In my catalogue there is the 715 which is 480mm wide but has the amp shown at the top with no DI rated at 130-watts.
There is also a matching AH130S stand-alone head.

The stand alone head like yours, with DI, is designated AH2007S. I think that means it a 200-watt head, GP7 pre-amp series "S". Other pre-amps that followed were the SM, SMC, SMX, etc. The head is quoted as 400-watt peak power output so you're probably right about the salesman.

The fact that yours had the S added probably means that it might have been a customer special or an interim model as they did change the styling quite a bit around then, or even a way of moving some of stock items. Whichever way I would say it's a 715S, 200-watt into 4-ohms.

• 8 months later...

[quote name='drewm' post='985771' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:30 AM']Yes, that's it! Do you have any history on yours?[/quote]

Here's all I know: It's 200W @ 4 ohms, has an 8 ohms speaker in the cab. There's a jack on back for an (8 ohm!...) extension cab, and all the other jacks for Send/Return, DI, etc are on front (see the pic, like yours I guess). I do like the patch-bay on the front panel- can't stand having to spend time leaning over the thing, feeling around in a dark environment for the right jack. No reason for that. Anyhow, when I first started looking at Trace in the 90s I believe the 715 was 200w with a GP7SM-based head. This is an earlier model. I remember saying, "Bah! Why would you want that little thing?"...

I bought from a guy who toured with it at some level, and it's taken its share of abuse as you can see. The sound is just gorgeous though, and I imagine that with another cab, like an 1153 for instance, it would be all I'd likely ever need. I do gigs with a pretty massive FOH trip, but this will cover the stage just fine. DI out to PA and there it is. I even toy with selling my GK 400RB and Bag End cabs now... but 2 rigs is better than 1.

Well, I guess it is... I don't hoard- hate the idea of having a bunch of "gear" sitting in a pile. If this thing looked a little better I'd keep it in the living room for an end-table when I wasn't working!

Edited by Count Bassie

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' post='989182' date='Oct 15 2010, 08:42 AM']I had one of these combos for years. used to use it with a Status 6-String and it sounded the nuts. Use to use it for club gigs and it was great.[/quote]

So you found it handled a B-string at 'club volume' with no worries? At this point I've hooked up my Bag End S15D to it, and it seems pretty nice- just want to be sure about lower strings with that Trace speaker... I know the Bag End can deal alright.

Oh, dig the avatar.

Edited by Count Bassie

If it's got an extension speaker output it's a 7215. A 715 hasn't got an extension out.
Original 715s were 100w, then 130w (no DI out) 715 means 7 band graphic, 15" combo. 7215 means 7 band graphic, 200 watts, 15" combo.
If it's got a 12 band it's called a 1215 ie 12 band graphic, 15" combo.
An SM , SMX or SMC is a different type of preamp, incorporating multiple preshapes, valve preamps (SMX), compressors etc
As it happens a 7 band 4x10" is a 7410, a 12 band version is a 1210 (add SM, SMC, SMX depending). 2x10"s were different again.
I could go on but I'd only bore you! You've probably got a 7215.
Trace only went to the wide body combos when they started SM and SMX preamps in about '93-'94.
I used to sell dozens of the bleeding things!
Hope this helps.
N

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='991220' date='Oct 17 2010, 10:51 AM']If it's got an extension speaker output it's a 7215. A 715 hasn't got an extension out.
Original 715s were 100w, then 130w (no DI out) 715 means 7 band graphic, 15" combo. 7215 means 7 band graphic, 200 watts, 15" combo.
If it's got a 12 band it's called a 1215 ie 12 band graphic, 15" combo.
An SM , SMX or SMC is a different type of preamp, incorporating multiple preshapes, valve preamps (SMX), compressors etc
As it happens a 7 band 4x10" is a 7410, a 12 band version is a 1210 (add SM, SMC, SMX depending). 2x10"s were different again.
I could go on but I'd only bore you! You've probably got a 7215.
Trace only went to the wide body combos when they started SM and SMX preamps in about '93-'94.
I used to sell dozens of the bleeding things!
Hope this helps.
N[/quote]

Aha! Nice info. So... my narrow, 200w 1x15 [u]Series-6[/u] combo with the 7-band and ext. speaker jack is a [u]7215[/u]. That's great- many thanks Nickytwister!

Edited by Count Bassie

Sorry chaps - that's not reading threads properly on iPhones for you!
A 715S was a late 80s/early 90s model; an upgraded 715 with extra power - 200w - an extension speaker out and a DI.
Combos of this spec were actually called a 715S; they were renamed 7215 for subsequent versions - the wide bodied ones, which then became SM or SMX versions at 250w, then carpet 300w versions.
You do have a 715S.
Apologies.......it was a long time ago!
N

[quote name='Nickytwister' post='991938' date='Oct 18 2010, 03:30 AM']Sorry chaps - that's not reading threads properly on iPhones for you!
A 715S was a late 80s/early 90s model; an upgraded 715 with extra power - 200w - an extension speaker out and a DI.
Combos of this spec were actually called a 715S; they were renamed 7215 for subsequent versions - the wide bodied ones, which then became SM or SMX versions at 250w, then carpet 300w versions.
You do have a 715S.
Apologies.......it was a long time ago!
N[/quote]

Ah, ok! thanks again, N! There we are, drewm, mine's ink is pretty rubbed out, but that's the ticket I guess!

Note: Mine's a series-6, and was said to be 200w by the guy I got it from, that's the basis of my thinking it's what I think it is. That and the photo, a (late-80s) Series-6.