Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Setup and Lessons - Bristol

Jebo1

Hello!

Recently picked up my second double bass (sold the first one as it was Chinese and rubbish!) but it needs a set-up. Can anyone suggest somewhere in the local area that would do a good job?

also, interested in some lessons, technique chats if anyone fancies a coffee and a natter about things...

I'm ok with the playing, this is purely about technique - I don't want to injure myself at all!

PM appreciated! Here's to strong hands and a large car!

Cheers, L

Hi Jebo.

The [url="http://www.violins.bristol-uk.com/repair_prices.htm"]Cremona House voilin shop[/url] on Park Row do bass set ups.

As for lessons - I'm happy to show you a few (very) basics in right and left hand techniques or you could get in touch with Gcordez on here who is offering [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=64670"]proper DB lessons[/url].

Dave

Edited by TheRev

Cremona house were very helpful and I will be seeing them shortly. A very reasonable £25 for a set-up and 2 minutes from work. Gert luverly as they say in the west.

Have PM-ed about some double bass chat, very interested! Really excited about the new challenge now.

Mint, innit!

You do realise that once you start on DB, you can never really go back to bass guitar? It just doesn't feel right any more. Good luck with the new mission, playing upright is an amazing experience - it'll change how you approach music and you'll never be without a gig.

Chicks dig it too.
:)

Edited by TheRev

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

First post, so a brief introduction, I'm an amateur electric bassist, been playing on and off for 30 odd years, mostly rock/funk stuff and mostly original with previous bands, some studio recording experience, gigs from pubs to parties to Colchester free festival once (that was a buzz). I started playing fretless a few years ago and whilst hardly a master I'm just about ok to play live with it. Not much good at reading, mostly a do it by ear guy and pretty much self-taught.

I have an opportunity to do some acoustic work with some friends but I've never been much taken with acoustic guitar-type basses. An exception to this is the Takamine TB10 but they are like rocking horse do-do and about £1600-2000 new. My musings on this have led me to consider a double bass for the first time - this was partly inspired by getting to know Richard at Cremona House in Bristol when I bought a bow from him for some bass experimentation and also seeing a band from Weston called the Cherry Pickers the other night. Also, I could buy an entry level DB for less than the Takamine, so why not go for the real thing? At least I have an estate car to move it around so that bit is taken care of.

Note however I've never actually played one! Well, once at school when I was about 13. I've thought about it on and off for many years but sheer size and cost has put me off until now.

Thus I've been doing the usual net thing and reading forums and stuff and I found several threads on here really useful, especially about the pros and cons of inexpensive double bases, so I've joined up and here I am. I live in Somerset but work in the centre of Bristol near Queens Square (hence walkable to Cremona!).

So why have I posted in this thread? Well, I wondered if it would be possible to meet up with a real live double bass player in the area to talk it through, be shown some basic technique, get some advice etc before I wobble off and commit undisclosed sums on my next amateur music adventure. How will I cope going from 34/35in scale to 41? How will I cope with that high action? Can I do all the physical side of playing a DB compared to an electric? Will I ever get the intonation right?

Would anyone volunteer to give a taster to a complete noobie?

Thanks!

Neil

Actually, how about a DB Workshop where a group of wannabe DB players could turn up.
(I'm another who is thinking of taking the plunge and based in Bristol) :-)

Just askin...

[quote name='Greydad' post='719148' date='Jan 20 2010, 03:47 PM']Would anyone volunteer to give a taster to a complete noobie?[/quote]

Ah, we're all crawling out of the woodwork now :)

That's a really nice idea - would be an ideal opportunity for, say, a teacher to tout for business too :rolleyes:

Or a retailer? I wonder...

[quote name='xzodar' post='719375' date='Jan 20 2010, 06:11 PM']Actually, how about a DB Workshop where a group of wannabe DB players could turn up.
(I'm another who is thinking of taking the plunge and based in Bristol) :-)

Just askin...[/quote]

Technically, I'm also a wannabe DB player - the closest I get to a DB is my Eminence EUB!

Having said that, The Eminence is about as close as you'll get, feel wise, to the real thing so if anyone wants to have a go, drop me a PM.

AFAIK, Cremona House (and many other violin shops) do DB rentals (when available) so if you're unsure as to whether the doghouse bass is for you, you could do a lot worse than hire a bass four a couple of months. I hired a bass for two months at a cost of £25 per month when I was considering buying a proper DB - I loved it but ended up buying the Eminence for purely practical reasons.

Dave

Hey Guys,

I've been in contact with Greg Cordez and plan to set up a taster lesson or two. However I also floated the idea of a sort of mini-workshop for DB wannabes - don't know yet if he wants to take it on or not. I'm also going to pop in to Cremona and see if they're interested in doing something, maybe hosting an open evening or something I dunno.

Who's up for this? Have we got 3 or 4 so far? Me, xzodar, bassbod, the Rev? Anyone else?

Neil

Hello everyone,

This workshop idea sounds like a good one if your all relatively in the same boat. Theres a couple of outstanding double bassists around Bristol these days and i'd be happy to help out (if i can) and/or put you in touch with these guys. Ben Groenveld is particularly good with the bow and fundamentals. Bass Bod is Duncan isnt it? Dunc, what you talking about? I heard that your quite nifty on that EUB...

Any of you Bristol guys want to try this out, give me a bell on 07795660622 and we can try sort something out.

[quote name='bassace' post='720924' date='Jan 22 2010, 10:38 AM']Just seen this post. I'm playing at the Old Duke tonight (22nd). Happy to have a chat with any BCer re Double Bass thingies.[/quote]

Ooh - I'm out on King Street tonight! Definitley pop my head round the door.

[quote name='bassace' post='720924' date='Jan 22 2010, 10:38 AM']Just seen this post. I'm playing at the Old Duke tonight (22nd). Happy to have a chat with any BCer re Double Bass thingies.[/quote]

Damn! I work at the other end of King Street a minute away but have to get home early tonight! Grr! When will you be there (or somewhere close) again?

Neil

[quote name='BassBod' post='721020' date='Jan 22 2010, 11:55 AM']I think I'm working, but may pop into town if I can. That's a long way way to go - hope Friday pays better than the Monday deps I do sometimes!

I keep meaning to ask you about the Henriksen combo - any good?[/quote]

No, I don't think it does!

Henricksen is very good. It has a very comprehensive eq section. Mine is the older version that has the cooling fan but I don't find any disadvantage in that. The speaker handles a lot of oomph. I don't use it much these days and may consider selling it, but not until the next tax year.

Hi , just joined the forum and came across this thread-got one or two comments make having spent a good deal of my youth
learning to play classical double bass. there seem to be a number of you eager to take up DB ,this is good , the double bass is
a fine instrument ,however before taking the plunge you should be aware that if your going to go down this road and hope to become
better than the idiots who stand there 'slapping' badly and playing grossly out of tune ,youre going to have to re-learn much of your
left hand technique. In practice its easy to go from DB to bass guitar , but substantially more difficult to go the other way.The bass guitar
technique does not transfer to the double bass well. Far better to learn the correct technique but prepare for a few aches and pains
along the way. Good Luck

Hi PedalB thanks for your post.

I do, however, think that most of us EB'ers understand this which is why at the moment so many of us in Bristol are looking for a good teacher to teach us technique!

I for one am under no illusion about how different (and difficult) it's going to be but that's no reason not to have a go. At my age I am realistic enough to know I am unlikely to attain the level of a top notch jazz bassist or a classical player but will be happy if I can achieve a decent level of competence so that I can entertain myself and hopefully others in some modest way.

Cheers

Neil

Hi, again

please do not think I am attempting to put anyone off the DB , Its just important to know before splashing the cash on a decent DB that
its going to take more work than the BG to get somewhere. The common method used for students in my day was by Simandl and its still in print
today ,although there some more recent methods that claim to be a little more easy going.(try googling Simandl). let me know if I can help ,Im down the road in
Burnham. There is also a Jazz method by Ray Brown also worth a look but its pure pizzicato ( no bow )

cheers

Hi, I had to laugh I'm right next door at Brent Knoll :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pointers I'll go have a google. It's been interesting talking to Greg because he's an EB player that's moved to DB so he's been through the pain I'm expecting to (he's a lot younger than me though LOL). After playing EB for 30 odd years there's a certain confidence and comfort that gets built up with it and I'm stealing myself for starting right back down at the bottom again, oh well :)

Incoming PM...

Cheers

Neil

Edited by Greydad