Why become a member? ×

JAZZ BASS ACTION

Dandelion

There's no hard and fast rule about action. It would help to know if you have a specific problem or if you are just curious. Some like it low and even don't mind a bit of buzz (as long as it doesn't go through the amp when amplified) where as others are quite happy with a high action. It also depends on the style you are playing as to what your personal preference is.

Ah!! that`s perhaps my problem Burrito, I am currently playing my bass without an amp..

I seem to get a lot of buzz when freting notes on the A and E strings, and to get rid of the buzz using the bridge = higher action than I would like.

I know the neck is straight. I`ve done the 8th fret test thing with the feeler gauge.

The main problem seems to be that I can play the note cleanly, but the string rattles on the fret briefly as I release the note.

I hope that makes sense..

it shouldnt buzz anywhere or hit when you play your normal way

also afterwards check the pup to string height

i use 1/8" at fret 12 for action...and then fret there and see if there are any buzzes further towards the bridge..if so...raise slightly...its a question of playing....and where you play most on the fretboard

i seldom go over fret 12 if ever i get up there
its 3-9 for me

[quote name='mrcrow' post='712943' date='Jan 14 2010, 07:39 PM']thats a cool set up...i might try that...i like low action if the string whip will allow[/quote]

IME that's about as low as you can get without too much buzz with a single action rod and no reinforcement bars in the neck. Plus that was after my mate at Dawsons levelled all the frets.