Why become a member? ×

German (Mittenwald) Double Bass - 100-120 years old

Mikey D

Hello

I've finally (and slightly reluctantly) decided to sell my double bass.

The bass is a German 3/4 flatback, believed to be from the Mittenwald area.
Has real purfling.
Neck was damaged at some point many years ago but seems to have been repaired in the 60's in England (There is a slight scribble to this effect on the inside). As such one of the tuners also does not match.
Believed to be approx 100-120 years old.
Professionally set up over a year ago with a new adjustable bridge. Currently very low and the bridge isn't really carved for arco worked.
Fairly new Spirocore Weich strings
Gage Realist pickup installed when the bridge was installed.
Has what I feel is a lovely, GREAT sound for jazz. Must be played and heard. (The only recorded example I have is a very small piece at this site of film composer Greg Harwood in the audio and then other music section. The track is called "The End - Modern Jazz Cue")
Does NOT come with case/bag.

Approximate Measurements:
Full Length = 72"
Body Length = 42"
Scale Length = 42"
Upper Bout = 21"
Lower Bout = 26"
Scroll to Shoulder = 31 3/4"
Width at Nut = 1 5/8"

Looking for offers in region of £3250 £3000 £2900

I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have either by PM, email to [email protected] or by phone (Message me for number).

Cheers

Mikey

Note: First picture was from the previous seller. Setup, general overhaul, pickup added and new strings added since. Rest of the photos taken 11/01/10
[attachment=39998:bass_front.jpg]

Edited by Dad3353

Hello

I've finally (and slightly reluctantly) decided to sell my double bass.

The bass is a German 3/4 flatback, believed to be from the Mittenwald area.
Has real purfling.
Neck was damaged at some point many years ago but seems to have been repaired in the 60's in England (There is a slight scribble to this effect on the inside). As such one of the tuners also does not match.
Believed to be approx 100-120 years old.
Professionally set up over a year ago with a new adjustable bridge. Currently very low and the bridge isn't really carved for arco worked.
Fairly new Spirocore Weich strings
Gage Realist pickup installed when the bridge was installed.
Has what I feel is a lovely, GREAT sound for jazz. Must be played and heard.
Does NOT come with case/bag.

Looking for offers in region of £3250

Camera appears to be dead so no recent photos yet. I have asked my friend to do the honours, but I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have either by PM, email to [email protected] or by phone (Message me for number).

Cheers

Mikey

Pictures added 11/01/10
Note: This picture was from the previous seller. Setup, general overhaul, pickup added and new strings added since.
[attachment=39998:bass_front.jpg]

Wow, Exactly the same as my bass too. Good luck with the sale as I think this is a very good price.
These are nice all round sounding basses, hard workers and not too heavy. Edited by Dad3353

Wow, Exactly the same as my bass too. Good luck with the sale as I think this is a very good price.

These are nice all round sounding basses, hard workers and not too heavy.

I don't suppose you either bought it off ebay or were selling it on ebay before xmas? As I saw an identical one on there just before xmas.

As I said above, offers welcome. Edited by Dad3353

• 4 weeks later...

Hey MikeyD can't believe you're selling this!!!!!!!

Bit more info if it helps ;

Top is a non original spruce replacement ,this and the neck fix were done by a builder/repairer named Thomas Alexander from Newcastle and were done around 1959/60.He told the person that bought it from him it was a turn of the century student instrument. Can't remember what he said the fingerboard was ,was either painted beech or maple.
Good luck with the sale is a nice instrument.

Hey MikeyD can't believe you're selling this!!!!!!!

Bit more info if it helps ;

Top is a non original spruce replacement ,this and the neck fix were done by a builder/repairer named Thomas Alexander from Newcastle and were done around 1959/60.He told the person that bought it from him it was a turn of the century student instrument. Can't remember what he said the fingerboard was ,was either painted beech or maple.
Good luck with the sale is a nice instrument.

I know, but it is a shame for a lovely instrument to just sit there and hardly be played now I'm no longer a jazz student and have no gigs on the double.

I'm willing to negotiate on the price if it is going to a good home, maybe there is a student of jazz who would be interested? Edited by Dad3353

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hope you enjoy the guitar. Here's a few pics of my Foster Basin Street Jazz guitar. (It was getting dark.)

As you can see there's a belt buckle wear mark on the back from too much playing.

Thanks

Guy

[attachment=56975:Front.JPG]

[attachment=56976:Back.JPG]

Edited by Dad3353