Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT-CL/VR

alexisonfire

Ellor,

I'm getting a new bass head, the three(ish) choices I have narrowed down to are, Orange AD200B, Aguilar AG500, Ampeg SVT CL/VR.

I love the tone of all three, and Im stumped!

Could someone tell me the main difference in tone between the CL and VR, I haven't played the VR (have played the CL) and would rather one of you guys tell me the difference rather than trying to hunt one in a shop!

Thanks dudes.

I have played through both CLs and VRs. The CL is very basic with minimal controls - gain plus basic EQ. The VR is a faithful reproduction of a vintage model that has two channels (each with two inputs) and various rocker switches to add boost etc. The VR doesn't have any input gain control though, so the only way of driving the preamp hard is by turning the whole thing up very loud.

I prefer the CL because of the gain control and I like the simple set up. The amp sounds amazing anyway so I found all those extra controls and spare channel were unnecessary (and having another input channel adds valves and therefore weight to an already colossally heavy amp). I did however really like the silver finish over the black, so I managed to track down an SVT head called an AV (Anniversary Vintage), which is what Ampeg made before they introduced the CL and VR lines. It's just a CL but in silver!

Andrew

Hi,
Out of curiousity where are you getting these from? A finance deal could be easier to pay for than taking a 1k hit on my account!
One of the music shops up here did take ampeg in, but they're having issues with suppliers now. Bah!

How does the CL compare with the SVT2pro? anyone know?

Sorry for the hijack!

Edited by woodyratm

Alot of dealers are now doing this "take away" scheme. You pay a 10% deposit of the overall amount, then pay the rest off in 9 monthly installments. Soundslive do it for an example.

Ahh, I'd defiantly be looking at the CL then, I don't want to have to go mental with volume for my desired tone, I'd love an AV but obviously only get them second hand.

I'll defiantly be giving matamp a call then.

woody thats a good question actually!

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='704560' date='Jan 7 2010, 06:29 PM']Alot of dealers are now doing this "take away" scheme. You pay a 10% deposit of the overall amount, then pay the rest off in 9 monthly installments. Soundslive do it for an example.[/quote]

That scheme applies to musical instruments only, not amplifiers unfortunately.

Orange or Matamp.

Forget the VR if you want nice low level volume tube grit.

I tested a CL with the Orange AD200b Mk3 instore...with the Ampeg through an 8x10 and the Orange through its own Orange cabs. Orange won by miles. Simply different and totally brilliant. Simple, awesome tube grit, stunning to look at. All IMO of course.

If you want low level volume full on dirt, look at Orange or Matamp. Both are UK made, and IMO, much nicer boutique amps.

Dont even worry about the wattage difference.

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='704942' date='Jan 7 2010, 10:57 PM']This is the reason Im swaying towards the Orange (need to check out the matamp stuff), DIRT at a decent level, do you think it would pair ok with my SVT410HLF, I don't really want to have to shell out for a new cab![/quote]

I think most the amps listed will be fine with it. But....you may end up gassing for Orange/Aguilar/Matamp/Berg NV cabs after a few months....its like a disease once you start hahaha.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='704819' date='Jan 7 2010, 09:31 PM']Orange or Matamp.

Forget the VR if you want nice low level volume tube grit.

I tested a CL with the Orange AD200b Mk3 instore...with the Ampeg through an 8x10 and the Orange through its own Orange cabs. Orange won by miles. Simply different and totally brilliant. Simple, awesome tube grit, stunning to look at. All IMO of course.

If you want low level volume full on dirt, look at Orange or Matamp. Both are UK made, and IMO, much nicer boutique amps.

Dont even worry about the wattage difference.[/quote]
low level? haha

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='704988' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:33 PM']I thought new Oranges were put in boxes in the UK but the internals were made in China, except for the initial run.[/quote]

I emailed Orange when I was after an amp and I hadnt decided. Parts from most amps in the world are from all over the place, but apparently its all constructed, made and put together in the UK.

I also compared, (guitar wise) their PPC212CB with the Chinese PPC212OB....massive difference. Not only bigger and better made, with thicker wood (which, after testing other guitar brands with a mate, definitely makes a difference) but also they had top notch 100% construction and tolex covering.

[quote name='acidbass' post='704579' date='Jan 7 2010, 06:40 PM']That scheme applies to musical instruments only, not amplifiers unfortunately.[/quote]

Not necessarily. From Dawson's website (http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/Finance_Information_about_the_Take_it_Away_Scheme.html):

"Although it has been created primarily to assist those who might otherwise be unable to afford the right instrument, the scheme is open to all. Applicants must be over 18 years old and a permanent resident of the UK.

You can use Take it away to finance the purchase of any kind of musical instrument, whether new or reconditioned, from a tabla to a tenor horn, a bass guitar to a berimbau. You can also include music stands, stools, sheet music, amplifiers, equipment and sometimes tuition as part of your loan."

[quote name='rathersnappish' post='705827' date='Jan 8 2010, 06:04 PM']Not necessarily. From Dawson's website (http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/Finance_Information_about_the_Take_it_Away_Scheme.html):

"Although it has been created primarily to assist those who might otherwise be unable to afford the right instrument, the scheme is open to all. Applicants must be over 18 years old and a permanent resident of the UK.

You can use Take it away to finance the purchase of any kind of musical instrument, whether new or reconditioned, from a tabla to a tenor horn, a bass guitar to a berimbau. You can also include music stands, stools, sheet music, amplifiers, equipment and sometimes tuition as part of your loan."[/quote]

That say's to me I'd have to buy a bass and an amplifier to be able to be eligible.

Probs just go for an interest payable one, GAK will have them avaliable the end of the month. Shame really because city music in Brum have offered me an AD200B for £1100 outright :/

Edited by alexisonfire

[quote name='Musicman20' post='704990' date='Jan 7 2010, 11:35 PM']Yeah...as in if you want a really nice grit but not as high levels every time. Like at home etc. Or quiter practicing. Most the time though...crank it.[/quote]
front end gain from an orange? how much further can they get from the original matamps! They may be made in the uk but that doesn't make them any better than something made in china. It's still on a pcb and the valves are still pcb mounted to and all the wiring is done with spade connectors and borderline components are used.

get a matamp, same price MUCH better quality.

Edited by umph

[quote name='umph' post='705894' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:15 PM']get a matamp, same price MUCH better quality.[/quote]

+1, for sure, its the closest you'll get to an honest pure sound, from people that are actually into the soul of their sound, which leaves you to tune your sound, and that's easy from a really good base.

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='705874' date='Jan 8 2010, 06:55 PM']That say's to me I'd have to buy a bass and an amplifier to be able to be eligible.[/quote]

Yeah, now that I look at it again, it says that to me too. Kind of annoying as I need both an amp and a bass but wasn't planning on buying them from the same place.

[quote name='alexisonfire' post='705874' date='Jan 8 2010, 06:55 PM']That say's to me I'd have to buy a bass and an amplifier to be able to be eligible.

Probs just go for an interest payable one, GAK will have them avaliable the end of the month. Shame really because city music in Brum have offered me an AD200B for £1100 outright :/[/quote]

That's roughly what I paid new for mine. It wasn't in the store longer than a week so it was immaculate. 3 yr guarantee as well. Beat the Ampeg hands down.

[quote name='umph' post='705894' date='Jan 8 2010, 07:15 PM']front end gain from an orange? how much further can they get from the original matamps! They made be made in the uk but that doesn't make them any better than something made in china. It's still on a pcb and the valves are still pcb mounted to and all the wiring is done with spade connectors and borderline components are used.

get a matamp, same price MUCH better quality.[/quote]

I very much doubt anyone can tell any difference between ptp and pcb. It doesn't bother me. The amp looks fantastic, isn't too heavy, has lovely fat creamy tone, and a fantastic gain control.

I will be purchasing a Matamp in 2010 if all goes well, but when I gigged a friends it didn't speak to me instantly like the Orange. Not dissin them though, could have been the tubes.

The whole issue of where it was manufactured matters very little in this day and age. My TC is made in Malasia I think, and it's fantastic. It's brilliant to have the manufacturer in the UK for cost and warranty issues.

Orange have always been 100% helpful with me with every email or call I made.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='706119' date='Jan 8 2010, 10:56 PM']Fairly easy to tell when you want to fix it. Valve amps need maintenance.[/quote]
aye its not a sound difference its more of a quality and ease of modding / maintaining thing.