Why become a member? ×

light gauge strings for detuning

billphreets

[quote name='billphreets' post='703328' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:37 PM']im needing to change to light gauge strings.. would say a .90 E string still be suitable for drop D tension wise?? im not worried about losing low end as i can boost my amps eq , i just dont want the D flapping around too much.. i play with a pretty light touch.. opinions please?[/quote]

I had a Bass Xtender on my Bongo 4 strung with 30-90s - no problems at all.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='703342' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:45 PM']If you want lighter gauge, but still have enough tension to make a sound, order some high tension strings from Newtone, they can do stuff with the core.[/quote]

I'd say +1 to this!
But I shouldn't think you'd have any problems just going down to D

Si

[quote name='billphreets' post='703590' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:31 PM']your not the first person to mention these strings to me today....[/quote]

Is that a good or bad thing? :rolleyes: You could try warwick red label in 40-100. About €9 a pop and not half bad. Started using them after I went back to uni. Cant afford to change the ol prosteels every month no more :)

[quote name='Mog' post='703601' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:39 PM']Is that a good or bad thing? :rolleyes: You could try warwick red label in 40-100. About €9 a pop and not half bad. Started using them after I went back to uni. Cant afford to change the ol prosteels every month no more :)[/quote]
no bad thing ; )

[quote name='Sibob' post='703728' date='Jan 7 2010, 12:34 AM']Eugh, Slinkys

I use 40-100 Newtone strings as my first choice and drop D is fine!

Si[/quote]
Si, I was just on the Newtone website. Those Platinum strings look good. Any idea what they sound like or is that coating just like Elixers nanoweb?