Why become a member? ×

Help me find an extension cab for my tecamp combo

wotnwhy

My tecamp combo does focussed low-mids, punchy mids and crispy sweet highs. so i want the new cab to do everything else (ie, fill out the sound :rolleyes: )

so i'm looking for a cab who's noted attributes include:
-a rich and focussed low end with a bit of attitude
-a competent air mover
-High sensitivity, good volume for watts (the combo will be putting out 350w into both speakers)
-no more than £350..

attributes i'm not interested in:
-no need for anything amazing in the upper mids to highs (no neet for tweeter)
-size and weight not an issue (withing reason, not looking for a fridge!)

was originally thinking of going for a 1x12 cab but now think a a sensitive 15" will be more suitable.

so, what springs to mind? :)

Edited by wotnwhy

In having a look round the ole internet today, i'm amazed at how few 15's there are these days..

anyway, the bagend is the only 15 thats come to my attention so far. any other ideas anyone?

fighting in the 12's corner at the moment are:

EDEN D112XLT - on paper, this seems to be ticking all the boxes, high sensitivity, low freq. response and the tone description seems to fit the bill. anyone with real-world experience with this cab?

Bergantino EX112ER - on paper, this seems to fall short of the Eden on sensitivity and freq. response, i guess the only reason i'm looking at this is user hype. anyone out there ever had a direct comparison with this and the eden?

Aguilar GS112NT - on paper, this falls short of both the Eden and Berg on sensitivity and freq. resopnse, but if anything beats them both on the number of apparent satified users. just get the feeling that it would be a bit too.. 'polite' (?) for me

opinions? experience? ideas?

Just to throw another 15 into the mix then.

I bought 2 of the new Trace 15" compacts last year to use as an easy in and out of venues rig (due to my Berg NV being the big rig) and I was quite blown away by them.

I have used them with my P Bass through either a GK1001, LM111, LH500 and ShuttleMax 6. Together they produce an impressive amount of low end with a nice 'burp' when I really dig in, and to be honest, the boys in the band prefer them to the Berg NV for some reason!! (610 and later a 412).

I have recently considered chopping them in for a Berg EX12ER x2 rig but am not totally convinced the 12's will give me that ...... ermmmm.... 'big bottom' I get with these Trace compacts.

If you were closer or are ever my way your more than welcome to try one out.

never really got on with Trace gear, had a couple of bits and have often played through them as a backline, though not played the newer stuff.

EA are on the list, but they are one of the brands that market pure, flat response, 'get out what you put in' sorta sound. i've gone down that road a few times and it's not really what i'm after on this occasion. looking for something marketed for character rather than clean.

Barefaced are also on the list, but require more watts than i have available to give them.

A tecamp 1x12 is obviously what i want, but at nearly £200 more than what i paid for the combo, even if i could afford it i don't think i could justify it!

additions to the 1x15 catagory are
GK 115SBX - high sensitivity and low freq. response. and i like the GK sound
Orange OBC-115 - don't know the figures of this, nothing on the orange website.. but certainly LOOKS like a nice cab.. :)