Why become a member? ×

Footswitchable eq/preamps

mcgraham

[quote name='mcgraham' post='702841' date='Jan 6 2010, 02:06 PM']Anyone know of any eq/preamps that you can program eq and pre settings into and use a footswitch to move between? I imagine something like a POD is a good option but I was wondering what else there was out there.

Mark[/quote]

Funny you should ask - as I was looking at something similar myself. The nearest I had come so far was finding a MIDI controlled effects unit with a good EQ on board. - I'm after some other functionality *as well* as EQ so my findings may differ from yours. There *are* however programmeable EQ's out there either in rack or pedal form. I seem to recall Boss made a pedal that did exactly what you need.

As for preamps - they are pretty much guitar based - but you have options like Peavey's errr.. I think it was called Bass-fex or something similarly 80's.. Look out for the Rocktron Blue Thunder bass preamp too. If you don't need 'preamp' especially look at the TC Electronic G Major / G Major 2 - or G-Force.

As you've mentioned, the line6 kit - especially the X3 units will give you an awesome array of options to play with - however - I was put off by the 3u sized box of the X3 Pro and ended up geting the X3 Live - which I only really use for recording.. but line 6 havent gotten it together with the Windows 7 drivers yet and I suffer all sorts of BSOD issues on my workstation.

Thanks Dood! I have a couple of different tones I like that I achieve using my preamp, but I have to adjust my eq between these on the fly when playing live - not ideal. I'm not too fussed about effects as it was primarily to shift tones using eq, but I imagine once I establish some nice eq patches, I'd end up adding some subtle effects to benefit them.

How are the TC Elec G-Force or G-Major at that sort of thing?

[quote name='mcgraham' post='702864' date='Jan 6 2010, 02:22 PM']Thanks Dood! I have a couple of different tones I like that I achieve using my preamp, but I have to adjust my eq between these on the fly when playing live - not ideal. I'm not too fussed about effects as it was primarily to shift tones using eq, but I imagine once I establish some nice eq patches, I'd end up adding some subtle effects to benefit them.

How are the TC Elec G-Force or G-Major at that sort of thing?[/quote]

The G-Force has a better EQ section, being a 4 band parametric, Vs the G Major's 3 band Para - but even so - they are brilliant - but obviously, the units are fully featured effects units, not just EQ and hence are very powerful. I use my GM2 to shift my EQ curves depending on what I am playing - so a standard tone mimics the '12 o'clock' controls of an Alembic/BBE/Trace V-type tone stack - solos I can pop in a bit of mid - and other noises, such as distortion can be kept under control by rolling off the tops a bit.

Actually, i think TC are fantastic and am toying a bit with trying out their Nova Drive - as it will pair nicely with the GM2 - IF it makes the right noises of course. (The Nova Drive is a programmeable Analogue distortion)

If it's just EQ you're after, try the Boss EQ-20 [url="http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/EQ-20/demos.html"]LINK[/url]

Has 9 user adjustable presets, and gives you 2 different sounds at your feet (1 stored, one 'live' off the graphic) or you can switch it out to get the basic amp sound. The biggest downside is the price - around £170 new, and good luck finding a used one!

A

Analog gear wise, the Ashdown ABMs have the valve drive, eq, eq shape and sub-harmonics footswitchable. Therefore you can control overdrive, an octaver, a different eq and some added contour via footswitch... this is something, but for better flexibility, given the fact that Ashdowns add their own colour to the sound as well, I'd go for something else. I also have a BassPod XT, IMHO good value for money.
BTW, I wouldn't switch to many different amp models in the same live setting (that means presets which model diffrent brands with very different tone qualities) , if not strictly necessary

Edited by EmaTheMirror

[quote name='mcgraham' post='703041' date='Jan 6 2010, 04:24 PM']Woah! The G-Force is[i] ridiculous[/i]! I'm absolutely boggled by how many effects and options there are in there. The G Major isn't bad, and isn't that expensive either... but man, that G-Force is something else.[/quote]

I ridiculously sold my G-Force thinking that the line6 X3 would replace it - momentous fail!! - So I ended up buying the G-Major 2 as well. The GM2 has some great functions, like being able to switch external amps/pedals as part of a patch change / midi message which is great - but it doesnt have the infinite routing options of the G-Force, which I do miss.

Fail. Colossal, epic fail... And to think... I used to respect you... :)

Just kidding, we all make those mistakes.

The G-Force looks amazing, but it may be a bit overkill for where I'm at musically at the moment. A simple® solution might be the ME20B. I have the ME20 and it has a 4 band eq (bass, lo-mid, upper-mid, treble) that you can program onto different patches (10 banks, 3 patches per bank). I really like the guitar version and have been tempted by the bass version, despite my aversion to effects on bass. I may not use all (if any!) of the effects, but I'd be able to have up to 30 eq settings that I could easily switch between.