Why become a member? ×

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel

Hot Tub

It's really not too hard - there's a couple of youtube vids to get you started (not exactly correct, but it's ballpark).

It helped us that we played it in Eb (not sure if that's the original key), so it just required a quick detune to get that monster low note.

Cheers,
James

[quote name='Moos3h' post='702579' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:50 AM']It's really not too hard - there's a couple of youtube vids to get you started (not exactly correct, but it's ballpark).

It helped us that we played it in Eb (not sure if that's the original key), so it just required a quick detune to get that monster low note.

Cheers,
James[/quote]
I agree, it shouldn't be too hard once you know what's going on. It took me ages to realise that Tony Levin plays the line on a fretless Stingray with an octave pedal. Once I knew that, I could transcribe it a lot easier.

It is in fact in Eb, although the tonality switches a fair bit between Eb Mixolydian (essentially major scale with a flattened seventh) and Eb Aeolian (natural minor). No detuning required though - the octave pedal provides all the fatness.

[quote name='bluesparky' post='702655' date='Jan 6 2010, 11:49 AM']OK, there you go!
I think it's attached now.[/quote]
Ta! Very much appreciated.

But I'm going to sound all ungrateful now... it's in the wrong key! Should be a semitone lower, but obviously that makes it harder to play without detuning or using an octaver.

Strangely, they've chosen a three-sharps key signature throughout the body of the song, presumably basing that on the chorus being based around F#m. I would've written the verses with four sharps (E major) and probably changed the key signature for the choruses. Yes, I would have had to write naturals in before all the flattened sevenths in the verses, but the E chord just doesn't feel like the dominant of the song's key. It's the root in the verses, and it just happens to be played with a flattened seventh. Maybe that's just me and the way I hear the song.

Having said all that, I would have transcribed it in Eb as well. :)

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='702684' date='Jan 6 2010, 12:10 PM']Ta! Very much appreciated.

But I'm going to sound all ungrateful now... it's in the wrong key! Should be a semitone lower, but obviously that makes it harder to play without detuning or using an octaver.

Strangely, they've chosen a three-sharps key signature throughout the body of the song, presumably basing that on the chorus being based around F#m. I would've written the verses with four sharps (E major) and probably changed the key signature for the choruses. Yes, I would have had to write naturals in before all the flattened sevenths in the verses, but the E chord just doesn't feel like the dominant of the song's key. It's the root in the verses, and it just happens to be played with a flattened seventh. Maybe that's just me and the way I hear the song.

Having said all that, I would have transcribed it in Eb as well. :rolleyes:[/quote]
It's the only version i've got, it's an old scan from the defunct bassist magazine.
Every little helps. :)

Edited by bluesparky

[quote name='nig' post='703046' date='Jan 6 2010, 04:27 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmDZ5JiLf0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmDZ5JiLf0[/url]

Enjoy, I did, its a good look at the world of bass playing. :)[/quote]

That is superb! Thanks for posting...

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='703308' date='Jan 6 2010, 07:20 PM']bluesparky - Many thanks! Much appreciated![/quote]
+1 cheers

[quote name='99ster' post='703622' date='Jan 6 2010, 10:53 PM']That is superb! Thanks for posting...[/quote]
another +1. Love that man's playing.

[quote name='nig' post='703046' date='Jan 6 2010, 04:27 PM'][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmDZ5JiLf0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptmDZ5JiLf0[/url]

Enjoy, I did, its a good look at the world of bass playing. :)[/quote]
That's amazing - thanks Nig! Happy New Year by the way...