Why become a member? ×

Karnivool

maxrossell

Just wondering if anyone rates John Stockman from Karnivool.

I'm just listening to their new record. Really amazing, thick, toneful and tuneful basslines. Hell, he even slaps on one tune and it doesn't sound sh*t (maybe because it's not a funky noodly look-at-me line, just a regular bassline with a sharper tone). Also he uses a six and he's the first sixer I've seen who hasn't bored me sh*tless with their fretw*nking.

[quote name='maxrossell' post='699759' date='Jan 3 2010, 05:59 PM']Just wondering if anyone rates John Stockman from Karnivool.

I'm just listening to their new record. Really amazing, thick, toneful and tuneful basslines. Hell, he even slaps on one tune and it doesn't sound sh*t (maybe because it's not a funky noodly look-at-me line, just a regular bassline with a sharper tone). Also he uses a six and he's the first sixer I've seen who hasn't bored me sh*tless with their fretw*nking.[/quote]

Yeah i think he's great, a friend and I saw them a few months back in Glasgow and the kicked ass! Got chatting to John and the drummer outside the gig too, cool guys!

Had never heard of Karnivool.
From what I listened to on myspace, really liked John Stockman's tone and playing. You know it's there but he's not trying to steel the show.
I'd need a few more listens to say if I liked the music overall, although I didn't not like it if that makes any sense whatsoever.

• 4 weeks later...

They are a fantastic band and thier recent album is stunning. Jon is a great player, uses a Warwick Thumb 6. I spent a bit of time discussing his dirty sound via email with him as I was very fond of
his overdriven tone on a few tracks. He was very forthcoming with info and
not slightly up his own arse about talking to a nobody like me :)

Roll on March when they come back at play Nottingham Rock City!

I've become a big fan over the last month, since Max posted this thread.
Simply love the start to Goliath on the latest album when the bass comes in. Aggressive and attacking.

Can see what you mean about it being a little generic, silddx. I wasn't fully taken when I initially listened to them, but something clicked and was so impressed that I now have both albums. The second album is a more accomplished and rounded album, but Themeta the title track of the first album is a great track.

EDIT: Now I've developed a taste for Australian hard rock and metal bands.

Edited by Marvin

Awesome band! I haven't stopped listening to their latest album since I bought it :)

I think the basslines are great, they fit the music really well and his tone is outstanding.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='730644' date='Jan 31 2010, 02:48 PM']...Jon is a great player, uses a Warwick Thumb 6. I spent a bit of time discussing his dirty sound via email with him as I was very fond of
his overdriven tone on a few tracks....[/quote]

The overdrive tone of this guy is the best I've heard, for that music. I love it and I'm after a dirty tone like that...Could you, please, elaborate a bit more and reveal more details on how he achieves it? I'd really appreciate it.

[font="Arial"][size=2][quote name='PauBass' post='730774' date='Jan 31 2010, 04:58 PM']The overdrive tone of this guy is the best I've heard, for that music. I love it and I'm after a dirty tone like that...Could you, please, elaborate a bit more and reveal more details on how he achieves it? I'd really appreciate it.[/quote]

I can indeed... Here is the text of his email...

-----
The bass tone I got on Simple Boy was a combination of 2 sounds, and I'm not sure exactly what I did but I'll try remember. I used an Ampeg SVT2 Pro preamp, but through an old SVT2 poweramp (only really because the valves in the the pro were going to sh*t) and then i ran either the ODB-3 or a Tech-21 XXL through it with the gain of the amp up a bit as well.
I run the ODB-3 pretty much dry with just a bit of wet so it has clarity. Also, I had a distortion preamp on the DI line that was run through Amplitude 1 (the original one) and that gave it an extra high mid kick. I think there probably would have been a bit of clean DI in there as well. Also the EBS that was on stage (SHEP- when I saw them last in the UK) was Marcus' from Dead By April, I usually use an Ashdown live or Ampeg.
-----

Now you may find all of the above a little complex. I ran it by Max @ [sfx] labs not long back and he offered the following 'slightly' easier explanation (hope you don't mind Max)...

-----
Jon's signal path sounds pretty complex but if I understand correctly the sounds comes from: bass->valve preamp->XXL/ODB3->EQ (mid boost) in parallel with some other "distortion preamp" + some clean in parallel.
-----

Hopefully that helps :)

Shep[/size][/font]

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='730985' date='Jan 31 2010, 07:35 PM'][font="Arial"][size=2]

I can indeed... Here is the text of his email...

-----
The bass tone I got on Simple Boy was a combination of 2 sounds, and I'm not sure exactly what I did but I'll try remember. I used an Ampeg SVT2 Pro preamp, but through an old SVT2 poweramp (only really because the valves in the the pro were going to sh*t) and then i ran either the ODB-3 or a Tech-21 XXL through it with the gain of the amp up a bit as well.
I run the ODB-3 pretty much dry with just a bit of wet so it has clarity. Also, I had a distortion preamp on the DI line that was run through Amplitude 1 (the original one) and that gave it an extra high mid kick. I think there probably would have been a bit of clean DI in there as well. Also the EBS that was on stage (SHEP- when I saw them last in the UK) was Marcus' from Dead By April, I usually use an Ashdown live or Ampeg.
-----

Now you may find all of the above a little complex. I ran it by Max @ [sfx] labs not long back and he offered the following 'slightly' easier explanation (hope you don't mind Max)...

-----
Jon's signal path sounds pretty complex but if I understand correctly the sounds comes from: bass->valve preamp->XXL/ODB3->EQ (mid boost) in parallel with some other "distortion preamp" + some clean in parallel.
-----

Hopefully that helps :)

Shep[/size][/font][/quote]

Thanks Shep!

Yeah, it sounds pretty complex to me :rolleyes:

I assume that's how he got the sound on the recording but how does he do it live?

• 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Just got back from the Karnivool gig at Rock City. For those of you wondering how Jon runs his effect processing here it is!

I had a word with the tour manager and he let me on stage before they packed his board away...

There are two rows of pedals at the back, one on top of the other with the switch unit at the front. The bottom row I couldn't get to correctly but there is a Tech 21 XXL Bass edition there

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='774135' date='Mar 14 2010, 10:12 AM']It was f'ing awesome... Sorry!

I'd gonas far to say I'd put it in my top 10 of all time :-)[/quote]
Don't be sorry. Great to hear that they are a damn good band live. It would probably grate a little if you said they'd sucked :)
Good to hear you had a good time, just wish I live closer to the live 'circuit'.

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='773982' date='Mar 13 2010, 11:11 PM']Hi guys,

Just got back from the Karnivool gig at Rock City. For those of you wondering how Jon runs his effect processing here it is!

I had a word with the tour manager and he let me on stage before they packed his board away...

There are two rows of pedals at the back, one on top of the other with the switch unit at the front. The bottom row I couldn't get to correctly but there is a Tech 21 XXL Bass edition there[/quote]

Thanks so much! My phone doesn't have a flash so I couldn't get a picture of his board. It was an amazing gig. They have a pro tools rig for samples and stuff. I thought it must be total overkill, so I asked the guitarist about it, and he said "it's the minimum we can get away with".

I made a thread in the effects section in the hope that someone actually knows what's on the bassist's board.

• 9 months later...

hes my fav :) reason for picking up a 6'er in the first place. i love his bass fills and his tone.
Karnivool are a very texturised band and i can enjoy both themata and sound awake by just focusing on an individual instrument (ie.bass haha) or the song as a whole. it doesnt matter, still quality, quality vocals, quality use of fx from guitarists, quality drummer, and quality bassist.
Grade A band

[quote name='Marvin' post='730691' date='Jan 31 2010, 03:41 PM']I've become a big fan over the last month, since Max posted this thread.
Simply love the start to Goliath on the latest album when the bass comes in. Aggressive and attacking.

Can see what you mean about it being a little generic, silddx. I wasn't fully taken when I initially listened to them, but something clicked and was so impressed that I now have both albums. The second album is a more accomplished and rounded album, but Themeta the title track of the first album is a great track.

EDIT: Now I've developed a taste for Australian hard rock and metal bands.[/quote]

I have recently discovered them, and I totally agree the start of Goliath is killer!

check out [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PmhHPFgcwk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PmhHPFgcwk[/url] for more aussie rock, I just love this simple bass line!