Why become a member? ×

Output: programme and contiuous

Marvin

I was trawling through the for sale section on the forum and saw and Peavey tvx410.
To get an idea of spec I visited a website the name of which evades me but it put the output of the cab in these terms. 350watts continuous 700watts programme.

Can someone explain what this means please as I have never seen this before.

Cheers

Rich

[quote name='Marvin' post='697300' date='Dec 31 2009, 04:20 PM']I was trawling through the for sale section on the forum and saw and Peavey tvx410.
To get an idea of spec I visited a website the name of which evades me but it put the output of the cab in these terms. 350watts continuous 700watts programme.

Cheers

Rich[/quote]

Not a lot soundwise. Look at the dB figure for loudness, even then it can be misleading.
350w continuous means that the cab can handle 350w electrically for a long period without bursting into flames. 700w programme means that for short periods the cabinet can handle much larger peaks.
You can use these figures to make sure that you won't overpower the cab with your amp.

[quote name='Marvin' post='697300' date='Dec 31 2009, 04:20 PM']I was trawling through the for sale section on the forum and saw and Peavey tvx410.

Cheers

Rich[/quote]

I'd read it as 350W RMS, 700W Peak - so I'd view it as a 350W cab. No more.

I always thought 'Continuous' power was based on a thermal limit - ie; on the limit before your silicone nangeflaglet/reverse cathode muffplate/voice coil/cocktruss array/flange reciprocator melted;

'Program' power I think is a non-standard way of saying 2x continuous, ie. the crooked thinking being that a varying program would ease the load on the speaker and give it time to cool before the silicone nangeflaglet/reverse cathode muffplate/voice coil/cocktruss array/flange reciprocator melted. Problem is, what program are they running it through? - 40[sup]o[/sup] easy wash with Ocean Colour Scene? - and that's got to be double continuous because it sounds bigger & therefore better........

RMS is the one to use as a reference point - because I remember Bill Fitzmaurice said it was! :)

[quote name='Hamster' post='697391' date='Dec 31 2009, 06:03 PM']Problem is, what program are they running it through? - 40[sup]o[/sup] easy wash with Ocean Colour Scene? - and that's got to be double continuous because it sounds bigger & therefore better........

RMS is the one to use as a reference point - because I remember Bill Fitzmaurice said it was! :)[/quote]
:rolleyes: :lol:

It did seem a strange way to explain output.
I've always preferred RMS.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='697513' date='Dec 31 2009, 02:38 PM']Usually fine, but best to avoid the North Atlantic in the iceberg season.[/quote]Only if you're on the White Star line. No problem on a Carnival Cruise. They can use the extra ice for the drinks. :)

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice