Why become a member? ×

Any good music shops in Dublin?

Gunsfreddy2003

[quote name='frank' post='697335' date='Dec 31 2009, 05:02 PM']Do you know what street they are on?

Thanks

Mark

Short answer is no theres nothing worth going out of your way for.

But you could try Musicmaker and Musician Inc. which are both beside each other
I havent been in either of them for quite a while but they are your best bet on finding something[/quote]

There are two Waltons shops - one on Great St Georges Street and one on Upper Dorset Street - lots and lots of Gibson guitars but not much else worth looking at IMO.
If you go up the Naas Road or get the Luas to the Red Cow stop there is a HUGE music shop there - Xmusic (website is xmusic.ie) - that had a lot of stuff from a lot of brands the last time I went in, including some bass stuff. There's a guy with a shop on Exchequer Street that has a lot of secondhand stuff and might be worth a look in there - the shop's called Guitar Fix and sometimes has an A-frame blackboard outside so you know which door to go through as it's above another shop - can't remember which one although I think it's a shoe shop for some reason.

There are another couple of shops on Exchequer Street/Wicklow Street but I tend to give them a miss most of the time.

I agree with BurritoBass on the exchange rate - if you just want to go and have a look at a few guitars on your way for a few pints, but I personally wouldn't buy anything over there.

Do you know what street they are on?

Thanks

Mark

Exchequer st. and Drury st.

In the middle of George st. and Grafton st. so not hard to find

id agree with the post about the exchange rate definately not worth buying anything here even if you can find it.

Wouldnt bother looking in any of the other music shops in Dublin they are just full of not so cheap crap

Have Fun

You could head out as one John_The_Bass said to XMusic on the "Luas", lots of musical stuff to noodle
about on but not a massive selection of basses - I've seen more in some of the chain type stores in the UK.
Sometimes you can see something interesting in Music Maker (off Grafton street really) and Musician inc
(almost across the road from it, next x-roads). Bottom line however is you aint going to really see any
bargains. Having said that, if you see something in XMusic you like, and know the UK price, they currently
match GAK, Andertons and Thomann euro for euro.

Enjoy your trip, if you have the chance look up the Academy website or Whelans - both excellent small
live music venues - you might be lucky and get to see something interesting!

/A.

X music is what Musician inc. is now called. They have no outlet in the city center anymore. The rest, bar Instrumental which is located on the quays, are not worth a visit. There is a new Yamaha dealer beside Instrumental that I haven't been in yet.Might be worth a look.