Why become a member? ×

Removing a decal

waynepunkdude

[quote name='Golchen' post='696720' date='Dec 30 2009, 08:50 PM']Why do that? after all, it IS a squier!

Decal - what an american word!

Not sure the best way to do it - careful use of varnish remover on the whole front face having masked it off maybe.[/quote]

I'm turning into a 75RI clone, it isn't varnished over, I'm thinking wirewool but I'm unsure.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='696724' date='Dec 30 2009, 08:54 PM']I'm turning into a 75RI clone, it isn't varnished over, I'm thinking wirewool but I'm unsure.[/quote]

If it's not varnished try Meths or Surgical Spirit on a cotton wool bud. A good many transfers are printed with spirit-based (i.e. alcohol) inks. Failing that, 1500 grit wet & dry.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='696733' date='Dec 30 2009, 08:57 PM']If it's not varnished try Meths or Surgical Spirit on a cotton wool bud. A good many transfers are printed with spirit-based (i.e. alcohol) inks. Failing that, 1500 grit wet & dry.[/quote]

+1

But one tip if you use wet and dry. Make sure you do the whole of the front of the headstock evenly - if you only do the area above the decal it will be very difficult to get the new finish even, and you will be left with a shadow where the old logo was.

But personally I would leave it as it is!

[quote name='simon1964' post='696751' date='Dec 30 2009, 09:19 PM']+1

But one tip if you use wet and dry. Make sure you do the whole of the front of the headstock evenly - if you only do the area above the decal it will be very difficult to get the new finish even, and you will be left with a shadow where the old logo was.

But personally I would leave it as it is![/quote]

Cheers buddy, I'm going full on 75RI although I'm leaving the 4 bolt neckplate and squire logo on the back of the headstock just in case I sell it to someone and they try to sell it as a Fender.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='696674' date='Dec 30 2009, 08:14 PM']Yo homeslices

How do I go about removing the Squier logo from the headstock on my VMJ?

CHEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!1[/quote]

:)

you bloody snob...leave it on mate you will make people wonder how you get such a sound out of it..just like 60 jazz original