Why become a member? ×

Westone Concorde 2 Bass Value

saxosim

Hiya,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with some advice please. My Dad has asked me to sell one of his Bass guitars and I need to know what sort of value the guitar is worth so I have an idea how much to advertise it for?

It is a Westone Concorde 2 Bass guitar in a dark red colour with its own flight case. It is pretty much immaculate other than a few marks on the case and 2 small light scratches on the body.

My Dad got it approx 15 years ago and has now decided to part with it as he doesn't use it. The build and quality of it is excellent and it is a great looking guitar.

Please see photos below, any idea of values would be much kindly appreciated?

Thanks, regards
Simon
Newcastle Upon Tyne

Westone's have a loyal following, and rightly so... mine was a superb bass and yours looks absolutely mint. Thunder A1's can go for upto £300 ish if mint. Don't know your mode mind, but if eBaying it I'd put a good reserve of £300 - £350. This website might help: [url="http://www.westone.info/"]http://www.westone.info/[/url] I believe the guy who bought mine runs this site I think.

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='696028' date='Dec 30 2009, 12:05 AM']Westone's have a loyal following, and rightly so... mine was a superb bass and yours looks absolutely mint. Thunder A1's can go for upto £300 ish if mint. Don't know your mode mind, but if eBaying it I'd put a good reserve of £300 - £350. This website might help: [url="http://www.westone.info/"]http://www.westone.info/[/url] I believe the guy who bought mine runs this site I think.[/quote]

I would say that £300 - £350 is very ambitious. The Concorde doesn't have the same following as the Thunder and you can pick up Thunders for a lot less than £300. It's a good looking bass from a well-regarded manufacturer, it should be worth more but I think he'll be doing well to get £100 to be honest. Hope I'm wrong.

Neither the £35 Ebay sale or "a good reserve of £300 - £350" are remotely realistic. This [b]isn't[/b] a Thunder 1 - and regardless of the ridiculous BIN sums that Ebay chancers sometimes list them at, they DO NOT generally sell for £300+.

The Concord is a less popular (& when new, cheaper) bass than the Thunder 1 & a realistic sale price will have to reflect this. Currently a good Thunder 1 will probably fetch £150 or so on Ebay, or about £30 less on here.

This Concord looks to be in very good original condition, with its original hard case & very little visible evidence of use or play wear (although the poles on the P type pickup look rusty) - and the condition & originality are in its favour. If this were mine, in a 99p/no reserve Ebay auction I'd expect at least £120, and if I listed it here on BC I'd ask £150 and be prepared to haggle.

However the owner chooses to sell it, I'd strongly recommend being willing to pack it and post it. The £35 one on Ebay would have sold for considerably more if the seller could've managed to drag themselves to the PO with it.

Jon.

Well, not to get in an argument about prices, I have seen Thunder's fetch £300 on eBay... admittedly before the recession though. Like I said, I'm not familiar with the Concorde II, so couldn't comment on an accurate price, but putting a good reserve wouldn't do any harm would it, even if my guess was slightly out! Or, you could just let the auction run, I think you might get a nice price. The analogy of it being a cheaper bass when new is a little poor. Squier's were cheaper basses when introduced, and look at what an original 1982 Squire will bring now! Not saying this bass is equivalent to an '82 Squire though :)

Edited by derrenleepoole

Hi All,

Many thanks for the advice and comments. It is interesting to see all the different views on its value etc. As mentioned it is literally mint, the only marks I can see on the entire guitar is a little scratch underneath and one near the lead plug which I guess my Dad must have done when plugging in once and slipping.

The general opinon seems to be to aim around the £150 mark reserve and offer posting which I will be prepared to do via a courier if the buyer pays its postage.

Thanks again for your help, regards
Simon :)

Edited by saxosim

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='696114' date='Dec 30 2009, 09:14 AM']Well, not to get in an argument about prices, I have seen Thunder's fetch £300 on eBay... admittedly before the recession though. Like I said, I'm not familiar with the Concorde II, so couldn't comment on an accurate price, but putting a good reserve wouldn't do any harm would it, even if my guess was slightly out! Or, you could just let the auction run, I think you might get a nice price. The analogy of it being a cheaper bass when new is a little poor. Squier's were cheaper basses when introduced, and look at what an original 1982 Squire will bring now! Not saying this bass is equivalent to an '82 Squire though :)[/quote]

Thunder IIs & IIIs (neck-through, high-end) certainly can & do fetch £300+ prices, bolt-neck Thunder 1s really don't, unless it's shill bidding or random nutters!

The original MIJ Squiers are part of the inexplicable world of vintage Fenders now - which is a logic-free zone, as far as I can tell, and more to do with brand association than the actual instruments. I've had two 80s MIJ Squiers (both built by Fujigen Gakki) & they were both lovely - but I've also had many basses & guitars built by Matsumoku, like this Concord, and there is genuinely nothing between them in terms of build, materials & components - in fact arguably some of the hardware on this bass is a lot more substantial & "better quality" than the Fender/Squier equivalent. Matsumoku had a great reputation, which is well-earned.

I think with Ebay prices/final values so much of it's to do with the visibility of the listing & the popularity of the item - people will be specifically looking for Westy Thunders because they're currently a popular & sought-after vintage MIJ bass, sadly the same isn't so much the case with the Concord. You have a point about the historical retail value, but that's probably part of what affects the popularity & quantities available now; back in the day, the Concord was a good budget bass, but the Thunder I was an [i]excellent[/i] budget bass - it sold more, had a rock-solid reputation, is regarded with affection by people who started out on them - and I'd say as a result is more desirable now.

J.

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice on the concord 2, I have sold the Bass guitar tonight to a very keen collector who came over and is chuffed to bits with it and seems to really love Westone guitars.

It sold for £170 which we are really pleased with and seems very fair based on the values everyone mentioned.

Thanks again, regards
Simon

[quote name='saxosim' post='696656' date='Dec 30 2009, 07:54 PM']Hi All,

Thanks for the advice on the concord 2, I have sold the Bass guitar tonight to a very keen collector who came over and is chuffed to bits with it and seems to really love Westone guitars.

It sold for £170 which we are really pleased with and seems very fair based on the values everyone mentioned.

Thanks again, regards
Simon[/quote]

Good work, I really need to get a Westone at some point and see what they are about, I've heard great things and terrible things but never picked one up and played it in anger.

It looks lovely. It would have looked even better next to my Concord II guitar :) , which was my first guitar 25 years ago! If the bass is anything like my guitar, it'll be a decent budget Jap bass if well set up and cared for.

My Concord II is still going strong, although it could do with some minor tweaks to the electrics.

Edited by twowheeledwriter

[quote name='saxosim' post='696656' date='Dec 30 2009, 07:54 PM']Hi All,

Thanks again, regards
Simon[/quote]

That's excellent, a really good price & I'm dead chuffed it went to someone who appreciates these things! Was it through the Westone forum?

J.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='696762' date='Dec 30 2009, 09:27 PM']That's excellent, a really good price & I'm dead chuffed it went to someone who appreciates these things! Was it through the Westone forum?

J.[/quote]

Hiya,

Yes it was through the Westone forum to a really nice and friendly guy who was really pleased with it and even has a westone website. He knew its age and manufacture date by the serial number which was impressive, pleased it went to a good home anyway.

Cheers
Simon