Why become a member? ×

B-E-A-D

Guest MoJo

I've just been reading a related thread on this forum but the situation I'm in is this. I have recently taken up with my old guitarist and singer and we've been working on covers by the likes of Black Stone Cherry, Audioslave, Disturbed etc where a lot of the material is in Drop D or Drop C. I've been using my BB415 to get down low, but I've always felt more comfortable on a four than a five so I'm toying with the idea of restringing a four B-E-A-D and filing out the nut grooves to suit.

My question is to anyone who has done this before. Do you notice the limitation of the missing G string or do you just move everything up the neck?

not sure as i tend to stick to regular tuning where possible - i did notice this the other day:

[url="http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/corvette_taranis.htm"]http://www.warwickbass.com/basses/corvette_taranis.htm[/url]

so would seem you're not the only one doing this! if you know your way around the fretboard ok then i would imagine the missing G wouldn't be too much of a problem especially with the material you mention you'll be playing.

peace

c

Ive done it...and to be frank its totally pointless,get a 5 and work at it.

The contra tuning of a 4 makes it not as versatile(therefore and read as limited) as an instrument and just highlights how much you will miss the G string,Im pretty sure your 4 will be a 34" scale so the 'B' wont sound as good as a 35" scale 5 string. Getting good at a 5 or 6 will give you more opportunities available as a musician,to cover more work,and earn more money. You wont be playing that style of music forever or always covering such tunes,and getting used to a 5 is just a good idea really.

Just keep at it

(Think of me in the next month copeing on a 9!!)

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='mr pablo' post='76775' date='Oct 19 2007, 10:41 PM']Hows the work progressing on the 9 dude?[/quote]

SERIOUSLY need it for an audition....(Else Im going to have to use a fretless 5) The electronics (Bartolini 3 bnd eq) and the Hipshot....(did I mention the hipshot,its for the F sharp so I can go sub E....Yes THATS LOW FOLKS) Are trapped in a sorting office In Liverpool (They are still on strike) SO Jims ramming a 2 bnd hes got in as a quickie and leaving it unfinished until the bits turn up...so no coil tapping or oil finish or 3 bnd eq or drop tuning...And Somewhere on gods earth are my Gotoh machine heads in silver,we cleared them out....Pickups made as is the cover....

Heres a VERY old unfinished piccy

Things have since been bevelled,routed and stuff....

Big,Hard,and clever.....

Edited by ARGH

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='76875' date='Oct 20 2007, 09:48 AM'][url="http://www.asiandubfoundation.com/adf_home_fs.htm"]http://www.asiandubfoundation.com/adf_home_fs.htm[/url] go to articles then Dr DAS on bass- good reading[/quote]

we saw these guys at a music conference in london once. I guess he wasn't just having a bad joke when he said "who needs a G string anyway!?" :)

I have been tuning to D-G-C-F as the guitarist i play with tunes down a whole step as he finds it less of a strain on his vox. I know it's not really any good for drop C unless slightly heavier strings were fitted. This works of me though I've got 45-105 flats fitted and they seem to work well. The other group I occasionally play with use standard E-A-D-G so its just a case of tuning up. At the end of the day it's whatever works for you.

[quote name='ARGH' post='76792' date='Oct 19 2007, 11:26 PM']SERIOUSLY need it for an audition....(Else Im going to have to use a fretless 5) The electronics (Bartolini 3 bnd eq) and the Hipshot....(did I mention the hipshot,its for the F sharp so I can go sub E....Yes THATS LOW FOLKS) Are trapped in a sorting office In Liverpool (They are still on strike) SO Jims ramming a 2 bnd hes got in as a quickie and leaving it unfinished until the bits turn up...so no coil tapping or oil finish or 3 bnd eq or drop tuning...And Somewhere on gods earth are my Gotoh machine heads in silver,we cleared them out....Pickups made as is the cover....

Heres a VERY old unfinished piccy

Things have since been bevelled,routed and stuff....

Big,Hard,and clever.....[/quote]

Cool look forward to seing the finished article