Why become a member? ×

Blockheads

sshorepunk

Most enjoyable to see the Blockheads last night, one of the tightest bands around, Norman Watt Roy is an incredible player, he holds the whole thing together with an incredible groove!
I was around whilst they were setting up ready for sound check, listened to him jamming with the drummer, bloody hell, he's got some licks, a lot of really nice jazz styled improvisation. A great sound from his jazz through a TE rig
Had a quick chat with him, thanked him for being one of the reasons I started playing bass back in '78, he seemed to really appreciate that and asked what where I was playing on the night, once he knew I was a bass player :)
The sound man for our room was late (stuck in snow) so we were running late, should have been finished as the Blockheads started, but we were only 10 minutes in as they came on, so dropped a song and whizzed through the set just to get into the other room, good decision!
Would liked to have seen the band with Ian Dury back in the day, but the guy up front does the job and it all seems to work! Graet band though!

Tony

[quote name='andyonbass' post='690378' date='Dec 21 2009, 08:40 AM']I see thrre's a video of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UvHsr6Zi-4"]Rhythm stick[/url] from the Live in Colchester DVD available on you tube now, good for an insight on Norms technique. Dylan Howe is a great drummer too![/quote]

Great comeback on the Youtube thread -

this sucked if you ask me, Ian is much better

ye well ian's dead so suck my dick

Pleased it went well. I supported Wilko Johnson last month with Norman Watt-Roy again on bass. I was really impressed with his playing too. Normally I find bass players supporting / headlining to be pretty evenly matched but he left me for dust! Chatted with him a bit during soundcheck and backstage too.